Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Thoughts on the EBE/ ATrim collaboration? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Thoughts on the EBE/ ATrim collaboration?         Reply with quote

I've had the Eljay hilts mentioned in Mac's thread on the Eljay hilts, but until yesterday, hadn't been able to find or create the time to open the package. Yesterday I did, and the photos, as nice as they are, do not do justice to the hilts.

Last year, with the early Scot baskethilt and the off the shelf AT blades, the concept was proven that this was doable. The best of them though, was the piece that Eljay made the entire hilt assembly, I assembled it on an AT1315 blade, and it became the myArmoury contest sword that Sean Flynt won.......

The others were ok, and I learned a lot doing them, but really, as far as potential goes, that first year was just proving the "concept".

These current hilts from Eljay are a step up in quality, one that will force the same from me.

Nathan desires the German hilt, and what has been discussed is a slightly modified AT backsword blade {fuller, false edge model}, at 34 inch blade length. I'm also thinking about designing a double edged blade for future EBE German hilts, making for an option, and making for very exclusive swords, as these double edged blades will only be made for the EBE German hilts {and Eljay will only supply me with 5 to 7 hilts a year}.

I couldn't stand it, so this morning I re-did a shop 1315 blade, refinishing it to my current standards, and mounting it up. Its very similar {except of course the hilting} to Sean's teastrainer....... This proves the "concept", but I'm also going to design a longer double edged blade {short ricasso, two or three fullers} that will feature the characteristics of blades I've seen on antiques owned by Pat Tuffer.

Then I have this beautiful Proto-Mortuary hilt. I hate to admit this, but I know very, very little about these later period swords, and certainly would love any ideas of what to do with this...........

I still have two more hilts coming this year {have no idea what they're going to be}.

One of the things Eljay and I discussed is seeing what is the most popular this year, and possibly taking deposits for next year, depending on what impressions and desires are this year.......

Rambling mode......

I am going to design new blades around these later period hilts that Eljay sent me. The excellence of them demand that I do my utmost to match the hilts' quality....And later period blades tend to be smaller {thinner in crossection and sometimes in width}.......Just two years ago, I wouldn't countenance making "historically correct" blades for these hilts, because I felt there was too much chance that a typical sword lover would wrap one around a target. Today, I'm convinced that the level of martial artist's knowledge, and the level of collector knowledge has reached a point that folks understand that these swords aren't indestructable, and that an "average" sword of these period would have a "finer" blade {mass wise} than most modern "medieval" reproductions. Matching one of the latter blades does not fully do justice to a really fine reproduction of one of these baskethilts. Designing accurate blades just might......

Looking back at what I've written, it doesn't look much like asking for ideas and help. But I am, particularly on the Proto-Mortuary hilt, but even the others.........

Thanks

swords are fun
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus,

On the Proto-Mort.... a 33" - 34" doubled fullered back-sword blade would do very nicely.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it's really an option, but a turcael or sabre blade would look great on that proto-mortuary hilt.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 13 Mar, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the EBE/ ATrim collaboration?         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

...This proves the "concept", but I'm also going to design a longer double edged blade {short ricasso, two or three fullers} that will feature the characteristics of blades I've seen on antiques owned by Pat Tuffer...

I am going to design new blades around these later period hilts that Eljay sent me. The excellence of them demand that I do my utmost to match the hilts' quality....And later period blades tend to be smaller {thinner in crossection and sometimes in width}.......Just two years ago, I wouldn't countenance making "historically correct" blades for these hilts, because I felt there was too much chance that a typical sword lover would wrap one around a target. Today, I'm convinced that the level of martial artist's knowledge, and the level of collector knowledge has reached a point that folks understand that these swords aren't indestructable, and that an "average" sword of these period would have a "finer" blade {mass wise} than most modern "medieval" reproductions. Matching one of the latter blades does not fully do justice to a really fine reproduction of one of these baskethilts. Designing accurate blades just might......

Looking back at what I've written, it doesn't look much like asking for ideas and help. But I am, particularly on the Proto-Mortuary hilt, but even the others.........

Thanks

Hi Gus...

As for me, this sounds like a fantastic idea. I have been wanting to add an English Baskethilt to my collection... and I have always like those short ricassoed double fullered blades... So I certainly like what you and Eljay are cooking up these days. Keep up the good work! Big Grin

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,
I just sent Angus an email about this, and a curved blade wouldn't be out of place at all. Although I've never seen a Proto-Mort with one, English baskets of the 1600s did sometimes have them, Mortuary swords have them, and there's a group of English hangers with curved blades and hilts that are second cousins to the Proto-Mort, so one wouldn't be historically unfeasible. And they would look pretty cool (my opinion only!).

--ElJay
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

E.B. Erickson wrote:
Patrick,
I just sent Angus an email about this, and a curved blade wouldn't be out of place at all. Although I've never seen a Proto-Mort with one, English baskets of the 1600s did sometimes have them, Mortuary swords have them, and there's a group of English hangers with curved blades and hilts that are second cousins to the Proto-Mort, so one wouldn't be historically unfeasible. And they would look pretty cool (my opinion only!).

--ElJay

Thanks Eljay. This hilt would look great as a cutlass type of thing. My comment about it not being an option was mainly refering to Gus' current blade availability.

I love your work!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
E.B. Erickson wrote:
Patrick,

--ElJay

Thanks Eljay. This hilt would look great as a cutlass type of thing. My comment about it not being an option was mainly refering to Gus' current blade availability.

I love your work!

Hi Patrick, Eljay

The saber blades are still a couple months down the road. I'm a little behind on new stuff now, and likely will be thru summer. However, I have a thinner, lighter backsword blade already under development, and that might be just the ticket for the first one. I'd love to match up one of these protos though with a saber hilt in the near future......

The English hilt appears to be spoken for now...........

Right now, as it stands, for production next year, I'd like to see at least one of these English hilts, one of the Germans, and one of the earlier Scot "Lowlander" hilts we matched up last year.......

swords are fun
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've signed on for the English baskethilt. That, with an ATrim blade, should add up to one fantastic sword Big Grin

Attachment: 28.91 KB
eljay baskethilt.jpg

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gads! What covetousness doth erupt in my heart for such items as these here spoken of! Is a Baskethilt not a Baskethilt by any other name (or is it a Proto-Mortuary Sword?) Decisions, decisions...

Keep up the good work, Gus and Eljay! Fantastic how you're pushing the envelope towards the coolest of the cool swords of the 16th and 17th Centuries!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Well, I've signed on for the English baskethilt. That, with an ATrim blade, should add up to one fantastic sword Big Grin

That's an awesome looking hilt, Roger ..... it would have been my choice, too !

I look forward to the day you have it in hand, and hearing your report !

Congrats (belatedly) on your signing ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Mac, I don't suppose you have any other pictures of that hilt, showing it from different angles? I do have a pretty good idea of its overall appearance from the picture of the 1610 to 1630 English baskethilt you posted on the other thread.

At the moment, we probably will be going with a light 32 inch long backsword blade for this hilt. Gus may recommend something else as time goes on. Does anyone have other ideas for this sword?
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Roger

I'm afraid I don't have any other pic's of that hilt ..... perhaps Angus will provide you with some ?

I think this broadsword blade, on Eljay's antique English hilt looks pretty cool (see attached) .
Gus probably has something in his catalog along these lines ! Mac

Attachment: 86.32 KB
eng basket eljay.jpg

Attachment: 69.24 KB
eng basket eljay 2.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Hey, Mac, I don't suppose you have any other pictures of that hilt, showing it from different angles? I do have a pretty good idea of its overall appearance from the picture of the 1610 to 1630 English baskethilt you posted on the other thread.

At the moment, we probably will be going with a light 32 inch long backsword blade for this hilt. Gus may recommend something else as time goes on. Does anyone have other ideas for this sword?

Hi Roger

The three fullered blade I mentioned earlier is very similar to the one that Thomas just posted. In fact that's probably one of them I've seen photos of that made me think of producing something like that, its a bit slimmer than the one that Pat Tuffer used to have {may still have}......

The 32 inch backsword blade is still on.........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Hi Roger

I'm afraid I don't have any other pic's of that hilt ..... perhaps Angus will provide you with some ?

I think this broadsword blade, on Eljay's antique English hilt looks pretty cool (see attached) .
Gus probably has something in his catalog along these lines ! Mac

Thanks Mac

You da man when it comes to teastrainer resources.......

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
William Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any new up-dates on the Proto-Mort? Inquiring minds want to know..... Big Grin

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Allen Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I like the idea! Especially since I have my EBE basket at Christian Fletchers right now waiting for one of Angus's blades to be mounted on it. Cant wait to get it back in hand!!!

Attachment: 65.23 KB
SideView1Small.JPG

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Thoughts on the EBE/ ATrim collaboration?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic