Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 3 new basket-hilts from E.B. Erickson ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The hilts have been here for a couple of weeks. I just now got enough "unburied" to open the shipping box and look them over.

The photos do not do them justice. Exquisite detail of the guard, pommels, and handles. The finish is beautiful..... if I wasn't such an arrogant ass, I might say these hilts were too nice to put on AT blades......

sigh.........

I guess that means these are going to have to go on blades with the best finish I can muster.........

I don't know that its visible in the photos, but the German hilt has a thumb ring. Playing with it, one can tell this will add a great deal of control to a cut.............

Outside of the "German", these hilts are open, though a guy named Lee Reeves wants in on these........

A fella named Nathan Robinson is first on the "German"..........

Hey Nathan? could I trouble you to post a few photos of blades you think would work on the Mortuary? And of course, something similar to what you might like on the German?

I'll PM you later tonite.........

swords are fun
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hey Nathan? could I trouble you to post a few photos of blades you think would work on the Mortuary? And of course, something similar to what you might like on the German?

I'll dig some stuff up for ya and post them soon. My scanner situation is still fouled up, but I'm close to being able to buy a new one and I have a loaner here that, well, almost works Happy

I bet ElJay would have good input on which blade to use. Off the top of my head, your 34" fullered (?) backsword blade is probably an "easy" choice, but there are a lot of options for you too. These saw backswords and double-edged blades just as frequently. I'd say any blade on it should have only a very slight profile taper, if any, probably be fullered, and probably 34-37" long. I'd say that a diamond cross-section would be the least common cross-section, lenticular or hex being a better choice.

Some examples of things already on-line:

Backsword with multiple fullers and a ricasso. Check out the interesting feature on this original with the incised lines on the ricasso. It's reminescent of "half" of the ricasso of a Type XIX. Pretty interesting. I hadn't noticed that before.

Type XIX with a hexagonal cross-section and ricasso

Left: Another Type XIX, Right: Double fullered with a tiny ricasso. Interesting. I wonder if this is lenticular.

Backsword with what I would consider an unusual and interesitng blade

Lenticular cross-section, short fuller

Three totally different examples here

Left: Unusual sword, overall. Strange pommel and grip. Blade seems odd, too

Lenticular cross-section, perhaps interesting because of the lack of fuller

Interesting profile ont his one. Looks like a fullered hex cross-section?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i just remembered that Mac Posted a photo of the original sword on which the Germanic hilt is actually based Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ACK! You guys are KILLING me with envy here! Gads, one of those German hilts, with a nice 37" fullered blade with a nice taper... YIKES! Ah, for a spare several hundred to blow...

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
It's hard to tell without seeing the originals from other angles. It appears that the last two in my attachment are symmetrical. Just by looking at other examples, there are a lot of other types of proto-mortuary hilts out there and appear in variations of asymmetrical & symmetrical.

Even with the bar and guard configuration being symmetrical, I'm curious if there is an offset that makes the hilt asymmetrical, though, as we find on other basket-hilt types.

Having this hilt on the desk next to me, its as symmetrical as a handmade object like this can be. There's not much clearance for a large hand, but I can get either left or right hand in there, and have similar clearance with either.......

swords are fun
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Mar, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Left: Unusual sword, overall. Strange pommel and grip. Blade seems odd, too

Is the grip on this one reversed?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 3 new basket-hilts from E.B. Erickson !
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: