Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy         Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip to Italy, specifically including: Rome, Venice, Naples, Salerno. Do any of you have recommendations for good collections of arms and armor that I should try to visit?

Thanks!

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
I'm planning a trip to Italy, specifically including: Rome, Venice, Naples, Salerno. Do any of you have recommendations for good collections of arms and armor that I should try to visit?

Thanks!

It's a few years since I was last in Venice but the Correr Museum in St Mark's Square has an Arms & Armour section. If generally interested in the museums and galleries, look out for the multipass to save time and money.

Anthony Clipsom
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Venice, as I recall, I saw some great stuff in the Doge's palace but I think you have to book a tour to get access.
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Rome the Castel Sant Angelo has a small but decent collection of A&A. Much better in quantity and quality is the Odescalchi collection in the Palazzo Venezia. The problem here is that it is frequently not open at all, or may be partially open.
Venice: the A&A collection in the Ducal (Doge's) palace is very good, particularly in renaissance period swords. No need to book a tour when I was there but that was out if season, may be worse in summer.
Naples: Good collection from Este family armoury in Capodimonte museum but access may be restricted or closed.
You really should go to Florence as well: First, the Stibbert museum (magnificent colledtion) poss. booking needed. Second, Bargello museum some good stuff. Third , Museo Bardini, a small collection.
Try to avoid the summer months, April-September, you can't move for tourists. Best months, November-February.
Good luck.
Neil

N Melville
Dan Kary

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Melville wrote:

Venice: the A&A collection in the Ducal (Doge's) palace is very good, particularly in renaissance period swords. No need to book a tour when I was there but that was out if season, may be worse in summer.

Yes, I was there in summer. I can't remember if I had to do this, or if I just did it to beat the crowds. I think I did it first thing in the morning. This was a while ago though - 10 years!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all,

I will be going in March, so hopefully wont be too crowded. I wish I had time for Florence because I know of the Stibbert collection, but I'm already fully booked!

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Arms & Armor collection recommendations in Italy
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic