Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Current forum software limitations Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Current forum software limitations         Reply with quote

Hello all,
As many of you know, we have had to temporarily turn off some features of the forum software for security purposes. As of this moment, I'm not able to provide an ETA for when things will be resolved. The issue affects any process for which the software sends emails. Affected things include:

-new account registrations
-PM/post reply/topic reply notifications via email
-confirmation emails for password changes or email address changes to your profile

I personally can't help with the first two, but may be able to help with the last one if you get locked out in the middle of changing your password or email address. Feel free to contact me via the Contact page on my personal website in that case and I'll see what I can do.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The issues with the forum software are unchanged. Please note:

If you try to change the email address attached to your account or try to change your password, you will get stuck and you will have to contact me to have it fixed.

The forum software is supposed to send an email for you to verify your identity during those processes. It locks you out until you click a link in the email. However, all email sending is disabled at the moment, so you just end up locked out. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some people may have been experiencing site access/login issues. I know I have been. I discovered that using a different browser that I had not logged in from before and *not* checking the box to have the site remember me made things work. Checking the box to remember me and/or logging in from a browser I'd previously had logged in led to a host of database error messages.

I fully understand that people having access issues may not be able to see this message. Happy However, if anyone who can get in runs across friends or people on other boards who mention the issue, please feel to suggest the workaround above that worked for me today.

Happy

ChadA

Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I figured out today how to get back in - I was using a VPN and a myArmoury link came up in a search and I could see it just fine.

You can also get in using your normal browser in incognito mode, but, as you noted, you can't check the "log me in" box.

Is there someone with access to the FB site that can post a message and maybe resurrect it? Not being able to communicate via that forum, with all of the problems this site has been having, will be the death knell for this place if things like this continue to occur.

Not trying to be overly critical - just realistic in what can be expected since this site is so limited now.

EDIT: And while the bottom says that times are at "GMT - 6 Hours", the time I actually posted this was a little before 1AM at GMT minus 6, but the posting time is off by about 3.5 hours, initially showing 4:32AM. If that had been 4:32PM, I would have said the site thought it was in Darwin, Australia, or similar, but it was 12 hours off from that. I've heard that when there are time discrepancies of this nature within a site, there are likely serious problems going on in the site architecture.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Nathan Robinson is the only one able to post on the Facebook page. Until he decides to post or allow someone else the ability, we don’t have options in that regard.

I’ve also noticed the changing forum clock. It’s been off various amounts for a while. The server seems to be less and less stable, unfortunately.

Happy

ChadA

Victor R.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Unfortunately, Nathan Robinson is the only one able to post on the Facebook page. Until he decides to post or allow someone else the ability, we don’t have options in that regard.

I’ve also noticed the changing forum clock. It’s been off various amounts for a while. The server seems to be less and less stable, unfortunately.

I sent a FB friend request to Nathan and may see if I can message him. I noted on the page that it doesn't actually list the page Admin/owner, other than this site.

I'm wondering if the server is an old Gateway box sitting under a desk somewhere and otherwise forgotten. Laughing Out Loud
Victor R.

PostPosted: Sun 01 Oct, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those that didn't have the thought already, you can still use your normal browser to access the site - you just have to do some housekeeping.

First, you will need to edit your bookmark to eliminate anything in the address to the right of "myArmoury.com/".

Next, you will need to go into your browser settings and eliminate any "myArmoury" cookies. I had already eliminated before taking the screenshot. A new cookie will likely be created, but not one with "autologin" as part of the cookie data.

On an ongoing basis, you'll need to login fresh each time, don't check the "Log me in automatically" box and, it's recommended to log out each time.

IF YOU HAVE YOUR LOGIN DATA SAVED TO YOUR BROWSER, THAT'S OKAY. It will allow you to autopopulate your login but will not create the database error.

EDIT: I really wish the preview function would show these in post order, rather than reverse post order - first step at the bottom. The architecture of this site is really getting on my nerves. WTF?!

Attachment: 88.81 KB
Remove myArmoury Cookie.png
Use search function to find myArmoury cookie, select, remove, save changes.

Attachment: 40.39 KB
Manage Cookies.png
Open browser settings, search "cookies" and select "Manage Data".

Attachment: 25.55 KB
Edit Bookmark.png
Edit the bookmark - just right click on the bookmark for the menu.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Current forum software limitations
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic