Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bauernwehr by Davis Reproductions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2022 1:57 am    Post subject: Bauernwehr by Davis Reproductions         Reply with quote

I wanted a new camp knife, but I also wanted a[nother] late 15th century messer, so I commissioned Davis Reproductions to blend both in the same knife. This beautiful blade takes inspiration from a famous extant piece in Zürich, though with several creative interpretations. The style is commonly known as a bauernwehr in modern parlance, which loosely means “peasant self defense” knife, though that’s probably a later-period misnomer (particularly because these were also carried by nobility and the upper class). It -might- have been called a kurtze Messer (short knife) to differentiate from the sword-length langes Messer. The evidence is still scant on this point.

Regardless of nomenclature, I freaking love this thing. It’s big, it’s beefy, but it dances in the hand. Martially I’ve become very fascinated with slashing knife fighting styles over the past several years, and this is essentially a German equivalent of a Filipino Bolo or even a Japanese Wakazashi. If I had a pair of blunts exactly like this for fencing Lecküchner-styled messerfechten, it would move fantastically (obviously I’d adapt for the closer measure, of course). Going through solo drills, I almost can’t help but slip from German messer to Filipino escrima actions, since the knife has a certain ubiquitous quality to its handling (in the good way). It also feels like it will cut like a monster. That’s definitely something I’ll be testing in the near future.

It’s visually beautiful, with a gentle aesthetic flow, with a very organic feel to the filing of the bronze fittings. The nagel is both straightforward yet graceful, and almost leaf like. The pommel is… well, just look at it. It’s gorgeous. The grip is bone and quite comfortable, with just enough variance in color and visual texture to be pleasing to the eye. The three copper inlays in the blade are a nod to the original Zürich knife that inspired this, and are a subtle but attractive “pop” to the polished blade.

I mean, what else can I say? This has beauty, it flows wonderfully in the hand, it feels powerful in the strike. I love it, and it’s yet another reason why I keep going back to Davis Reproductions. He has such a good eye for historical details, both aesthetically and functionally.

Attachment: 41.5 KB
11B37115-26F9-4AFA-A95E-3DE15A0061D8.jpeg

Attachment: 37.64 KB
E68AC451-D663-491D-98CE-350B208A250F.jpeg

Attachment: 43.29 KB
F86D0035-1D80-49DA-B176-A6DEF5E8F673.jpeg

Attachment: 38.83 KB
DFC8CE96-CA2B-446B-BF1C-5CC5BEFFE80B.jpeg

Attachment: 43.5 KB
2DC739D8-DD63-4F24-BAB9-BA5751D8F5DC.jpeg

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Ryan McLaurin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks beautiful! Huge knife....almost a short sword. Did you make or have made a sheath?
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

interesting knife! The blade kind of reminds me of https://neuesausdergotik.blogspot.com/2016/06/alle-biester-in-die-kafige.html by Niklas, although his is more of a Stichmesser than a Hiiebmesser.
www.bookandsword.com
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice bauernwehr, I think I recognize the inspiration for that one. It's a beast, and I want it!
Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan McLaurin wrote:
That looks beautiful! Huge knife....almost a short sword.

Yeah, the more I play with it, the more sword like it feels. Honestly, it’s as big as many short swords, so I guess it’s not too surprising.

Quote:
Did you make or have made a sheath?

I intend to… I just never seem to find the time to make things for myself anymore. Laughing Out Loud

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I intend to… I just never seem to find the time to make things for myself anymore. Laughing Out Loud

"The cobbler's children have no shoes." Wink
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Ryan McLaurin wrote:
That looks beautiful! Huge knife....almost a short sword.

Yeah, the more I play with it, the more sword like it feels. Honestly, it’s as big as many short swords, so I guess it’s not too surprising.

It's kind of like a German Bolo!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Nov, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quite a camp knife! Congratulations - Very (Very) Nice!

I didn't notice, length or blade length? Is the "false edge" sharp?

Thank you very much for sharing.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl W. wrote:
I didn't notice, length or blade length?

I forgot to measure! Total is 23.5”, blade is 16.75”, the bone part of the grip is 3.75”.

Quote:
Is the "false edge" sharp?

Kind of, but not really. Certainly nowhere near as sharp as the true edge. The false edge’s bevel does come to an angle, meaning it isn’t flat or rounded, making it sharp enough that if I pressed my finger hard against it and pulled hard, it would probably break skin. So, sharper than swords that come unsharpened. The bevel is fairly wide, though, moreso than a typical axe edge, so even if I were to really hone it, it would never be very sharp.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice Bill! (way too nice for a camp knife Wink)

Thanks for sharing!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bauernwehr by Davis Reproductions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic