Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New project - bauernwehr from a weird machete Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Indman

PostPosted: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: New project - bauernwehr from a weird machete         Reply with quote

I made one Bauernwehr a few years ago from a modified Atlanta Cutlery blade ( http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=371...bauernwehr ), it was a fun project and came out pretty well. But I always felt like the blade was a bit short at 10.5", reallly wanted something close to a short sword range and more elaborate in shape.

And finally I ran into a suitable blade! At a gun show, some guy was selling knives and machetes of various shapes and sizes, all constructed of 5160 basically like machete in an "asian village blacksmith" style. He said he actually travels to Thailand yearly to order and select these from rural makers who sell most of their blades as working tools to local peasants. A few people I spoke to had only good things to say about the guy and his products.
I chose a machete of about 15" blade length and 5/32" thickness (see attached "before" picture, taken after I knocked off the plain wood handle scales).

The "after" picture shows the blade after major reshaping. A lot of work with my small 1" tabletop belt grinder, and finalizing the shape by manual sanding to 150 grit.
Most obvious changes are in the handle (narrowed down and more "bauernwehr-like" in style, new pin holes and nagel hole drilled); point (gave it a clip point and three decorative copper lined holes at the cusp where the blade is widest), and edge grind (extended the edge down close to the future bolsters, reground all length of blade at more acute angle and then rounded off the ridge to make it look more like typical flat ground bauernwehr).
Feels like most of the blade is of spring hardness, but the edge is much harder (for about 1/4" along the edge). They must have applied some kind of differential heat treatment.

Overall, it feels like it should be a fearsome chopper when completed! And with a useable point, too. Just what I imagine a serious bauernwehr should be.

Lots of work still ahead on this one, and not enough time to spend on the hobby projects...

Alex.

Attachment: 140.06 KB
before [ Download ]

Attachment: 194.16 KB
after [ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 11 Aug, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great! The trio of copper-lined holes is a great touch....
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alex Indman

PostPosted: Fri 12 Aug, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad, I picked this detail up from this example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CodexIntegrum/comments/s9ennl/the_bauernwehr_a_real_medieval_weapon_you_might/
Carl W.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks (very) good so far. Nice idea/concept.

Fwiw (obviously given historical) I think one sided nagels look like unnecessary warts, & would be less work to omit it. Vaguely similar Khyber knives don't have them? Minor & perhaps silly tangent idea, fwiw.

Please let us know how how it turns out.
Alex Indman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Project finished!         Reply with quote

Finally, this project is finished!
I went for steel and copper pins look for all pieces, plus walnut for handles.
By-knife is finished in more or less same style as the bauernwehr, and the pricker is all steel.
Scabbard has leather covered wood core and mild steel fittings. Back of the throat has a loop for a narrow belt.

Attachment: 178.09 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 276.18 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 375.78 KB
[ Download ]
Alex Indman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

more pictures, from the back and side

Attachment: 119.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 104.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 149 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New project - bauernwehr from a weird machete
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic