Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Source for straight hanger blade? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Source for straight hanger blade?         Reply with quote

Hi again.

For a while I've wanted a mid-18th-century infantry sword with a straight blade, and while I'd prefer one with finger rings for better leverage, I also wouldn't mind using this hilt that was left over from my Colonial hunting sword project to make one like this:
https://emuseum.history.org/objects/64609/french-infantry-sword

A wire-wrapped grip would be more accurate, of course, but that's doable -- the cast grip could be cut off with an angle grinder. I was wondering if anyone sold an off-the-shelf blade of similar size and shape. From photos I can find it looks like single- or double-edged would both be acceptable.

Attachment: 287.2 KB
[ Download ]
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Royal Sword in Quebec carries inexpensive replicas of mid-18th-century British and French swords. I can't speak to their accuracy.
www.bookandsword.com
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm definitely considering them, knowing it may well be cheaper to get a whole sword there than just a blade from some other suppliers (especially a custom one) -- not to mention saving the work of assembly and making a scabbard -- but with this hilt just lying around, it seemed worthwhile to see whether there's a suitable bare blade on the market already.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Rifle shoppe has some hangers in their catalogue

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/knive...words).htm

A classic model in my area is this Hirschfänger:

https://www.tailorandarms.com/butik/swedish-hunting-dagger-hirschfanger-17-18th-century-military/

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Royal Sword products seem nicely made, I've had two, but they would not be a good choice for a blade in my opinion; they are overweight without distal taper.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
The Rifle shoppe has some hangers in their catalogue

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/knive...words).htm

A classic model in my area is this Hirschfänger:

https://www.tailorandarms.com/butik/swedish-hunting-dagger-hirschfanger-17-18th-century-military/

Thanks. I've taken a look around and the closest thing I can find is the Baker bayonet blade. It's a little short, but I'll bookmark it as a candidate.

Ian Hutchison wrote:
The Royal Sword products seem nicely made, I've had two, but they would not be a good choice for a blade in my opinion; they are overweight without distal taper.

Ah, that's disappointing to hear... though I have to admit being curious for any more information that exists about their products. Which models did you own? Could you tell me what their weights and balances were?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan D'Silva wrote:

Ah, that's disappointing to hear... though I have to admit being curious for any more information that exists about their products. Which models did you own? Could you tell me what their weights and balances were?

I've had the French cutlass and the Anglo-Dutch hanger, both were well finished. I only have the Anglo-Dutch hanger now, and unfortunately it is halfway through modifications. I'm grinding down the blade to lighten it and make it a bit more lively, so my measurements might not be representative. I might have posted a review here when I first got it that includes those. In any case, my impression was that it was quite nicely finished for the price, but heavy and a bit dead in the hand.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. If I order from them, it would be either the English smallsword-style hanger or the French one with the wire-wrapped grip and finger rings. Maybe both, to compare them, then return whichever one(s) I like less. If it turns out both are too much for my puny arms, the return shipping will make it an expensive way of finding out, but probably not the most money I've lost on this hobby at one time with only the learning to show for it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Source for straight hanger blade?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic