Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire alternative? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Karl Akkerman

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Albion Squire alternative?         Reply with quote

At one point I had the chance to handle an Albion Squire and I loved the feel of it. However it is quite a bit more expensive than its longsword counterpart the Crecy.

I was wondering if I could have some recommendations for more economical but still of decent quality alternatives to the Albion Squire?
Dashiell Harrison

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you could look at the Albion Squire Line 13th century knightly sword. It handles quite nicely for a sub $500 sword. The Kingston Armory Type XIV is very popular as well, although be careful who you order it from. My friends all love theirs, but I bought one from a British retailer and it came without the edge sharpened or even properly profiled.
Karl Akkerman

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the Kingston Armory Type XIV recommended elsewhere. I think I will add it to my list of swords to acquire.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suppose you are talking about this one?
https://www.albion-swords.com/The%20Squire.html

Albion's Squire Line is something completely different, those swords are aimed at reenactors rather than being faithful recreations of medieval swords.

I've never handled anything from Kingston Armory but I do think they are made in China, which is something to consider, depending on the reasons of wanting a sword. Personally my opinion is that China-made swords are fine for cutting practice or fencing, but not so much for collecting.

There are also a number of Eastern European makers who make quality products for much less than Albion, although I suppose that being in the US those become less attractive due to shipping and customs. But, although especially at the lower end of the market, visual quality is less than Albion, you may get a custom made sword.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is one that I have been looking at, as well as the XIIa/XIIIa that he has listed. I have heard good things about Rafal both here and on FB.

I have owned the Squire in the past and it was not for me at the time as I am more of a Type XII, of all varieties, kind of guy. I am now looking at something in the XIV/XV/XVI design again. I will be interested to see what others suggest.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/686767846/battleready-sharp-sword-with-type-xvi?ref=hp_rv-6&frs=1

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Squire alternative?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic