Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The pandemic & this hobby? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
To deal with the pandemic I've started collecting whiskey (whisky)! Scotch is my emerging favorite. Its the peat! And the sea! And the Band-Aids! Anyway, I have some nice enough Bourbons but not really my ideal I think. I'm working on giving the Irish a fair shake now! Anyway, I find that about four tall shots in I feel much better about everything! Unfortunately this is diverting some funds...

The problem with investing in whiskey is that you can't drink it.... Cry WTF?! Big Grin
Arne G.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Pandemic         Reply with quote

Holger Mahling wrote:
What i don understand - and please, i dont want to be too nitpicky - is why everybody, sometimes even some media, refer to the pandemic virus as "Covid" or "Covid-19". Thats is not correct; "Covid/Covid-19" is the lung disease you can develop after being infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus; that's the correct naming.

Well, I just call it "The Coof" to avoid confusion... :-)

You almost answered your own question, though, when you said, "...sometimes even some media..." In my experience the MSM has *always* called it "COVID". It's only on alternative internet sources that the more correct nomenclature is on occasion given. If one keeps in mind the average intellect levels of both the newscasters and their typical audience the cause for inexactude reveals itself quite plainly...
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 25 Feb, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've definitely spent more than I intended this last year. I don't know if people just needed money or what, but a couple of "bucket list" replicas popped up for sale and I couldn't say no. And as if by magic, Tod had a couple scabbards available for those models at the same time. Lucky and unlucky!

I also took a dip into a couple of more substantial (for me) antique items. I'll post on them soonish.

Lastly, I did make some considerable progress on getting my bare blades into some scabbards I made. 2 were completed before the pandemic really hit, but the other two would probably have not been made yet had I not been cooped up. A couple more to go, but my skill set slowly expands on that front. I'll do a few posts on those when I get a good day to take some photos.

I find myself drawn to antiques lately. I have most of the replicas I really want (maybe a couple more on the WANT list) and I'm not the kind of collector who wants a room overwhelmed with swords. I have in the neighborhood of 10 swords that really speak to me. Most antiques in the era I really like are out of my reach, and the ones that are in reach are either in really rough shape, or suspicious. A long time ago I used to collect Great War militaria and memorabilia, and and I got out when the number of fakes I saw began to outnumber the genuine pieces. It feels like this is as bad, unless you have deep pockets and can buy from reputable sellers, or have enough education to tell the fakes from the real deal. My previous collecting experience is that it can be tough to detect fakes from photos, even if they are good. The same item in you hand can scream "fake!" instantly. So SO FAR, I've gotten a few small items that are either fringe enough to not be worth faking, or that are low priced enough that if I get burnt, it doesn't hurt too much.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm fortunate that money isn't an issue so buying things for this hobby, or related hobbies, like also collecting folding knives and modern tactical knives have kept me spending a bit.

Now, after many years, and many many sword purchases, one can slow down in enthusiasm about buying everything that one fancies, also not every purchase has to be " Nose Bleed Level Expensive , as over the years I also bought mid-range quality swords and other weapons to widen my experience with other weapons outside of the Medieval European culture, so my interest is also for all weapons in all time period and parts of the World ...... Obviously, not everything ever made ..... Wink

A sampling of things like the Khukuri, later European sabres, Philippino weapons etc .....

So, lately, I've mostly been " Binge Buying " what I consider interesting folding knife designs that I like the aesthetics of or their unique designs.

But the most negative effect for me during COVID-19 lockdowns relative to this hobby is not being able to practice HEMA with a very good training partner this year, as we have been doing every year at a local park in all seasons except in Winter where feet of snow in the Park make practicing HEMA near impossible, not to mention it often being -20°C, if not colder in Montreal, not counting the wind chill factor ...... Wink Laughing Out Loud

No movies, closed restaurants except for take-out and delivery, not seeing friends etc ..... But, then I haven't caught the VIRUS so far, and the minority of people getting very sick or dying have had it, and their families, a lot harder than just me being somewhat bored ! Luckily for me, I'm sort of an introvert and I miss people less than some !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lot of nothing, every event has been cancelled or proposed for next year.

A "highlight" of last year was the dreaded plague hitting the house, i can tell you that being out of breath an having your heart race just going up to flights of stairs is no fun in you're twenty's.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The pandemic & this hobby?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: