Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Two new bows at The Modern Armbruster Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Duncan Hill

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Two new bows at The Modern Armbruster         Reply with quote

Hi gang,

I've just uploaded two new bows to my website (www.themodernarmbruster.com). The first was inspired by a 15th century Swiss (probably) example, with which I took some liberties with the materials, using padauk to veneer the top and bottom, and hard maple for the main body of the tiller. While I love the look of padauk, I do NOT recommend using it in conjunction with maple, because the dust gets into even the tightest of grain and stains it a bit.

The second is a Western European style. It seems that scholars have not been able to decisively narrow down exactly where or even when this design first came to prominence, however this type was very common in Belgium and France. This particular crossbow was inspired by an example currently housed in the Royal Netherlands Army Museum, dated 1756. The draw weight of that example has been calculated (based on the dimensions of the steel prod) to be 840kg, which seems absurdly high to me - that's approaching 2000lbs!!!

Attachment: 253.35 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 266.43 KB
[ Download ]
Michael P. Smith

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Was thinking about one of these for light target practice in my garage during the winter. I particularly like the look of that Swiss bow. I notice that it does not have a bolt groove on the table. How does that affect making consistent shots?
Duncan Hill

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah good question - I've left it flat for now, as some folks prefer groove, others a bolt rest at the front, so it will be up to the eventual customer. Personally I prefer the latter, as it makes it possible to adjust for windage (and for this one, would be more accurate for the Central European type). I wish I had done the same on the Flemish one!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Two new bows at The Modern Armbruster
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic