Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Video by Tod comparing directly old&modern crossbows Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Video by Tod comparing directly old&modern crossbows         Reply with quote

Just had a look at this very interesting video by Tod of Tod's Workshop comparing the very old windlass crossbow with a 950 pounds of draw weight and a modern compound crossbow of 150 pounds of draw weight and the effectiveness of the heavy bolt's momentum versus the much higher velocities of the light modern crossbow bolts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghoVmc12vEs

The heavy crossbow bolts have a lot more momentum even if they have less kinetic energy, the depth of penetration of the heavy bolts is impressive, and avoiding " spoilers " a completely blunt tip on one of the heavy bolts does something surprising.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all and thanks Jean for posting this up.

I am currently having fun messing about with crossbows, partly as crossbows and partly under a series of films called “lockdown longbow”. That has a simple premise that I have a crossbow that shoots medieval weight arrows (not bolts!) at the same speed as a 160lbs longbow. But this film is not one of those...

These films did get me thinking though and I thought I would directly compare a modern and an old crossbow and see what there is to learn and talk about; and here we are.

I hope you enjoy it.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Tod,

As you said in the video, you found a definite point where the velocity of the light bolt was limited by the inertia of the steel prod.

The obvious conclusion is that high strength steel prods should use heavier bolts to increase energy transfer efficiency and deliver higher momentum. But of course there is a point where the increased mass will be optimal and additional mass does not move fast enough to increase momentum.

An idea for you is to use your adjustable mass bolt and see if you can find the optimal mass for a particular bow. I‘d enjoy that video. Whatcha think? 80-90 grams for that big windlass bow?
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P Smith wrote
Quote:
An idea for you is to use your adjustable mass bolt and see if you can find the optimal mass for a particular bow. I‘d enjoy that video. Whatcha think? 80-90 grams for that big windlass bow?

I actually use exactly this in the video before this one. I use a variable weight bolt to work out what weight heads I need if a bolt is being problematic and so I have tested all the way up to 125g.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Video by Tod comparing directly old&modern crossbows
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic