Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How accurate is david campbell about the mamluks?Please help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ahmad Abdel

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jan, 2021 2:14 am    Post subject: How accurate is david campbell about the mamluks?Please help         Reply with quote

Is the shield ,armor ,and helmet size[coverage] and weight of this 13th century mamluk historically accurate?

Have a nice day
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The armour in the portrayal looks very like Byzantine stuff. It seems to me that Muslims mostly took over the native armour making shops in the areas they conquered, with perhaps some modifications to serve their own preferences. I have worked on a lot of the mail and plate armours that come later, and am interested in what came before, but I don't know much about it. I wait with you for someone with actual knowledge to say something about it.
jamesarlen.com
Iagoba Ferreira

PostPosted: Sun 31 Jan, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

About the weight of the mail, in Iberia there are at least five surviving arsenal tags that stated the mail weight.

https://www.academia.edu/41554564/Labarta_Identificadores_de_cota_de_malla_Un_nuevo_ejemplar

The article deals with a new small metal disk with an Arabic inscription incised on it. The study gives the reading and translation of its text and places the object in the Islamic medieval metalwork group it belongs to. It is the fifth example that is known. The reading of their Arabic texts shows they were used to identify mail coats (hauberks) belonging to the cordovan umayyad State in order to reintegrate them to the armoury after they were used. It corresponds to the times of the Caliphate of Hišām II.

I don't know if this was widespread in arabic world too.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How accurate is david campbell about the mamluks?Please help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic