Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weird Fauchard/Glaive-looking weapon from the First Crusade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Elio Pestana

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Weird Fauchard/Glaive-looking weapon from the First Crusade         Reply with quote

Hello.

A few months ago, while reading about medieval weaponry, i manated to found something quite peculiar, which i never saw elsewhere apar from this document there (in french) : https://journals.openedition.org/crm/2511

It seems to be some kind strange, single-edged weapon, referred here as "épieux", that is said to have been very popular. Later, the author says it was also referred to as a "fauchard", which is quite strange since this one seems to have large knife-blade and a short handle, as seen above in the document, while it looks very similar to the "Maciejowski Glaive"

I would like to know if any of the users here knew something about this strange weapon, as i cannot find any informations about it other than the document above and that would really help me.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Attachment: 296.3 KB
Screenshot_20201029-201950.png
(remains of the said weapon's blade)
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Judging by size, shape, and what looks like a socket (?), this seems more like a candidate for those Maciejowski "sp eat ar" glaives.

Attachment: 153.39 KB
unnamed.jpg

Elio Pestana

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems a bit small, since the weird blades were as long as 2.5 feet
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Oct, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They seem to resemble what is described (and pictured) in Waldman's Hafted Weapons of Medieval and Renaissance Europe as vogues and couteau de breche (Chapter Sixteen). Most are single edge, or primarily single edge with a false edge, and hafted with a socket. There is a little variation, but most are just very long knife-like implements. The examples in the book have sockets primarily in-line with the back of the blade, although two examples have central sockets, and are also the only two examples shown that have a back-spike/hook. What you've posted seems to fall into the same category as these weapons. What is odd is that the common names for these weapons derive from French, like yours, but the intro doesn't give either term for this type of weapon. Fauchards have their own chapter and tend to be much more complex and ornate.
Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Fri 30 Oct, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be cautious of the dating to the First Crusade. Both seem to be river finds from the captions, so they have no archaeological or provenance tie to the period. The Couteau de Breche and fauchard were long lived forms, as late as the 16th century.
Anthony Clipsom
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 31 Oct, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems the top one has a flat tang instead of a socket...

It reminds me the Early Germanic Single-Edged Sword or Warknife (approx 350 BC - 200 AD) although there are also clear differences (blade shape, tang shape, decorations).
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anthony Clipsom wrote:
I'd be cautious of the dating to the First Crusade. Both seem to be river finds from the captions, so they have no archaeological or provenance tie to the period. The Couteau de Breche and fauchard were long lived forms, as late as the 16th century.

Agreed. I'm more inclined towards a dating of mid-12th to early 14th century for the two examples, just on a crude guess.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Weird Fauchard/Glaive-looking weapon from the First Crusade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic