myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DONATION DRIVE 2020 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan. I know that no matter how many times people tell you not to feel embarrassed about these donation drives it won't change how you feel about it. I get it and to be honest I would feel the same myself, they are a necessary evil though. I don't visit this place as often as I used to, life has got a lot busier with three young kids, but I would be genuinely very saddened if this site was to go. I know that you have gone above and beyond the call of duty to keep this place going, so I'd just like to say thank you.
Éirinn go Brách
Johannes Zenker

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This website is far too important a resource for me to see it go down.

I currently don't have a regular income and thus can't give much, but every bit helps, I guess. And I'm very happy to see the substantial influx from others within the last 48 hours.
L Ryan B

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I paid my dues. The marketplace alone is worth the money. What, am I going to go sword shopping on *craigslist*? Are you insane?!? Big Grin
Ryan Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri 15 May, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Always happy to donate!
This quickly became my most visited site over the last 6 years. Thanks for keeping it going, it's how I found out about my armorer, the marketplace is where I got my first Albion, and I've learned an incalculable amount of information from all the awesome people on this site.

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12:11
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just giving this a " BUMP ", thanks to everyone who has donated to this great site and community.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another BUMP for those who may not have read or seem this Topic as it's now off the Home page.

Any extra money is helpful as a cushion and a reserve of cash in advance to help keep this site viable longterm and also a show of appreciation for Nathan's dedication in keeping this valuable resource available.

Also upgrading to being a regular contributor of funds is another way to support the site over the year.

As Mark Millman has suggested in a previous posting:
Quote:
Do you know what else you can do? Subscribe to a membership plan. They go for a small annual fee (US$25 or US$45) which is automatically billed.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has donated so far, the basic goal is and was the large Hosting annual costs that are the biggest out of pocket costs to run the site, and without that minimum amount raised the site would no longer be viable.

But without a specific goal there is still a need for more funds because the site needs an eventual upgrades to make it more modern as the way people access information has changed a great deal in the last decade or more.

Also, so ADDING to the Pot should continue because without more funds the site is basically still running but near " Life Support "

Also, great thanks to Craig for starting the fund drive this year because if he hadn't taken the lead and initiative this year the site would have closed down.

The long term goal of the site should be for it to become a permanent archive and data base, hopefully fully functional for decades to come, so any extra money helps to aim for this higher longterm goal.

So don't be shy to donate a small amount, if many more people donated a small amount the site wouldn't depend so much on larger donations from a much smaller group of people. Wink

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So why am I " BUMPING " the DONATION TOPIC after the original " Pay the Annual Hosting Costs " have been reached and even slightly exceeded ?

Well quoted from the bottom of the FORUMS page:
Quote:
myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.

So in a way this is a more open ended Fund Drive to raise funds to be able to afford to update and improve the site: The more money raised the more can Nathan afford the time and costs of improving the site experience.

So unless Nathan tells me to stop, I'll keep periodically bumping this Topic for people who haven't seen it already and give to the
MODERNIZE "myArmoury" DONATION DRIVE. ( Note:I did get his OK to keep bumping the Topic in a PM )

The request to Donate at the bottom of the FORUMS page has a YOUTUBE donate button on the left side of the page, but if people are like me as frequent readers and posters we tend to become blind to that ongoing request to donate funds during the whole year as opposed to a more focussed donation drive.

In any case reading the early posts on this Topic gives a lot of the reasons why one might wish to support the site as it is now, but also the possibilities to modernize and improve it. Wink Idea

Andy K.

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the reminder, I haven't been a frequent visitor as of late, so I'm glad you bumped the thread. Wonderful, informative site.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pretty sure I just fixed the myArmoury.com <-> PayPal communication issue that was causing me to have to add donations manually. I had to recode the entire module and that took a lot of research into the new methodology PayPal has adopted and a bunch of other things on our side. It was a pain in the butt, but donation records should be updating automatically again. I know, a little too late but I guess it's better than never.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last post was (checks timestamp) six years ago. Doesn't matter to me, would hate to see this site go down due to something as solvable as funding. Donation submitted; keep on keepin' on, team.
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.

The fund drive continues for the reasons above.

One can also support the site by upgrading to a paying membership as this helps with a consistent more predictable cash flow.

As you probably already know joining this site as a registered member to be able to post questions or comments has always been free, so one can participate in discussions, or post to the Market Place Forum to sell or buy one's collectables at no cost.

So this site's Forums have never been exclusive to paying memberships, but if you want and can afford to become a paying member it's one way to help the site stay active and help fund technical and content upgrades to the site.

Thanks to everyone who has or will help this site with a donation.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since this is a continuing fund raising not limited to just the annual hosting costs I'm giving this Topic a periodic " BUMP ".

Read the previous postings for context if you are seeing this Topic for the first time, and why this is a continuing fund drive.

I'm avoiding bumping this too often and only when it's been off the Home page recent posting for a while.

There have been some donation still coming in and thanks to all those who have donated already.

Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping this in our attention Jean.
Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Z Wells

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just want to append a note: being a part of a niche community over on mu-43.com, one of the bonus features the admin there decided upon was a little feature attached to message profiles to show that you're a user who supports the site:

Just a little consideration! Doesn't intend to institute a caste system, but maybe differentiates the shitposters from real heads :P
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All donating members are added to the Donating Members group.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a simple " BUMP "for those who may have missed the Topic. ( Note: I'm avoiding bumping this Topic too often, but mostly once a month more or less if no one else has bumped the Topic. )

I do see that people are still making a donation even if it's sporadic and not as urgently needed as when the hosting costs are due, thanks to everyone realizing that any funds really help keeping this site alive.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One final " BUMP " for 2020, glad that some donations are still coming in, and thanks to all those supporting this site.

Have a good Holliday season in spite of all the COVID-19 disruptions of normal life and condolences to those who have lost family or friends.

Hopefully 2021 will see the end of this.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
One final " BUMP " for 2020, glad that some donations are still coming in, and thanks to all those supporting this site.

Have a good Holliday season in spite of all the COVID-19 disruptions of normal life and condolences to those who have lost family or friends.

Thanks, Jean. Times are tough for sure.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Thanks, Jean. Times are tough for sure. Zero income in 2020. Awesome! Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DONATION DRIVE 2020
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: