Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Royal Armouries rondel info sought Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Royal Armouries rondel info sought         Reply with quote

Friends,
There's a rondel dagger in the Royal Armouries that's interesting to me. Info and a pic can be found here: https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-1214.html .

The description on their site says:
Quote:
Long, slender two-edged blade of lozenge section inlaid with a mark in copper alloy on either side, similar to a maltese cross. Short ricasso inlaid in gold with an illegible gothic inscription. Rondels at either end of the tang are octagonal, the upper with a facetted sherical pommel surrounded by four smaller studs intended to hold a decorative cap, now missing as are the grips. The steel has a thick black patina compatible with the tradition that it was found in the Thames.

Some questions I have:
-Anyone have better/more pics than what they show?
-The decorative cap they note as missing: what would that look like and be made of?
-Is it wise to assume the rondels are hollow?
-The now-missing grip was said to have been "inlaid with thin plates of yellow metal, marked with zig-zag marks." Would that have been something like what's inlaid into the sides of the Wallace Collection's famous A726 rondel dagger?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Martin Kallander

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This might be an indirect answer, but RA usually provides the info you seek and are quite happy to take additional pictures for you if you send an email. Although I think they are closed right now, last time I asked for some more images than they display on their site Bob asked me to remind them when the lockdown ends and they reopen.

Martin
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad that image is blurred. Still, it's possible to see in the magnified version that there's a bit of something adhering to the side of the upper rondel next to a small hole. That leads me to think that the cap fully enclosed the top and sides of the rondel, possibly secured by a nail in a hole on the side at at least one point. There might be some material left under the studs on top as well. I wonder if the "zig zag" pattern was wiggle work.

This was a high-status weapon with gilding on the blade so I wouldn't be surprised if the cap and plates were gilt bronze/latten, maybe stripped off because somebody thought they were gold. I can't think why anyone would go to the trouble of removing the cap otherwise. It doesn't seem likely that it could have come off accidentally. Maybe if it was badly damaged a misguided collector would have removed it, but then there's the question of the grip/plates....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you click the small chevron & text "media" you get 7 more photos that are better focused but perhaps you were asking for even better photos?
"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Joe Maccarrone

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh did a great repro -- I bet he's got more info..

https://crownforge.net/2019/01/03/towton-rondel-long-dagger-for-sale/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Maccarrone wrote:
Eric McHugh did a great repro -- I bet he's got more info..

https://crownforge.net/2019/01/03/towton-rondel-long-dagger-for-sale/

Joe,
That’s actually a different dagger from the same collection. Different blade cross section and dated a bit later. Happy

He may have info on the one above, though. I’ll check with him. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Wed 05 Aug, 2020 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
If you click the small chevron & text "media" you get 7 more photos that are better focused but perhaps you were asking for even better photos?

Ah, I missed that. Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Aug, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

rondels on these are almost always 2-piece hollow structure. a [ section end, and a | flat plate.

I am sceptical of any "decorative cap" element. there are multiple extant examples, all have the rivets (which are themselves decorative) with no attached elements.

I wouldnt be surprised if the original structure was a (=) shaped grip, where the two hollows on the flats of the "=" part were filled with latten strips. Given this one is a bit earlier, and has no holes for pins, its difficult to say if the strips were on the flat of the grip, or on the edge, in line with the blade edge.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Royal Armouries rondel info sought
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic