Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A weekend with Christian Tobler Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: A weekend with Christian Tobler         Reply with quote

This past weekend I had the pleasure of getting to meet Christian Tobler and attend one of his two day seminars on the German fetchbuch system of Johannes Leichtenauer. The event was hosted in Topeka Kansas by fellow forumite Jessica Finley. The topics covered were:

Fighting with the Longsword
    Liechtenaur's five Master Strokes
    Unarmed combat and the "Three Wrestlings"
    Armoured Combat and Half-Swording
    Wrestling at the Sword
    Rondel Fighting

The lesson was based on the “Fighting with the German Longsword” book and the process worked very well for me (a complete novice). After two days, even though my mind was swimming with all that I had learned and random pieces of the German language had crept into my conversations, I felt I had a grasp of the basic mechanics of the system (in a two day to learn and a lifetime to master kind of way). The way in which Christian taught the structure of the system everything just seemed to click and fit together. Each lesson feed the next and made the learning process go very quickly. The class covered a ton of information but it did not feel at all rushed. I must also put in that Mr. Tobler was and excellent teacher. He explained everything clearly and thoroughly, and then demonstrated it multiple times. This was follow by him carefully watching the class and helping each student on a personal or pair’s level. Our group at the seminar was composed of many people at different levels of skill but I felt as though everyone got a lot out of the class.

After the class I was able to go home and with the Fighting with the German Longsword book as a reference continue practicing with some confidence.

The weekend went off without a hitch. I know that I had a wonderful time. The Finley’s we excellent hosts. Anyone who gets a chance to go to one of Christian Tobler’s classes should defiantly take it.

Gary
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary-

It was a pleasure to have you down to Topeka, and I am glad that you enjoyed yourself!

Jessica
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 24 Feb, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like a fun and educational experience. I tried to make it up but work got in the way, as it often does!
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of meeting Christian a few times but never got a chance to attend one of his workshops. From my experience he's a top notch fellow and very knowledgable in the arts. One of these days I'll have the privelage of training beside him Big Grin
Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Feb, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys had a great time! Christian is a great teacher (and a hell of a nice guy)! Having someone be able to demonstrate the techniques and show you how it is done, even only for a one time class, can lift your understanding of how these things are done by leaps and bounds. Good luck with continueing your studies!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A weekend with Christian Tobler
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic