Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experience with the Hanwei Rhinelander Bastardsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Experience with the Hanwei Rhinelander Bastardsword         Reply with quote

I am considering to buy the Hanwei Rhinelander Bastardsword, and wanted to know if there is anyone that owns it and would be willing to share some of his experience.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Over all, it's really a fantastic sword. A bit blade-heavy, but that's just to be expected. I wish it had a ring on both sides of the guard...but oh well. Get one. You'll love it.
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Markus Fischer

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, first youre listing the things you dont like about it, then youre telling me that the sword is great and that I should buy it Wink
Whats about the positive side? Why is it as good as youre saying?
Btw I saw a review of it where the balance has been pretty close to the guard (9-13 cm), which would mean that it cant be very bladeheavy.
Furthermore I heard people concern about the blade being floppy (not stiff enough)....did you encounter this problem as well?
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have this sword as well, bought it when it first came out. There is no real pro to this piece other than it's price at the time( was $60 less on kult of athena compared to now). The cons on the other hand should vary between each pieces. Mine had an uneven distal taper and a very wobbly blade, does not affect cutting just an annoyance. The biggest gripe is the handle, the wood is cracked. I suspect it came cracked, figured it out after some weird rattling, although this was replaced later.

All in all if you are looking for a beater then this sword is not bad, a hit or miss just like any other sub $300 dollar sword. I do like how long the grip is and there is much blade presence. The problem is quality control, again a hit or miss. A guy at SBG forum had this sword and his model did not have a single problem.

Regarding quality control it can go from minor annoyance to major failure.
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.29083.html

If you are looking at hanwei swords, I would suggest Hanwei Hand and a half sword. This model was very popular and the price only change a small bit over the decade, a solide choice. The old model had a problem of using hollow pommel, I think that's been long fixed. Although there are complaints suggesting the pommel is "too big".
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...Half+Sword

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experience with the Hanwei Rhinelander Bastardsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic