Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Byzantine query Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Dawson depicts these helmets several times in his "Byzantine Cavalryman c.900–1204", he also has a reconstruction of one of these on his website (scroll down):

http://livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/Levantia_light/helms.html

I haven't got the book to hand at the moment, so I can't tell you the reference.
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jerzy Miklaszewski wrote:
It may be a little offtopic here, yet continuing the question about the Byzatine armours - for some time I was wondering about the face protection of the Byzantine warriors. I noticed that, apart from varangian guard and sassanid warriors, most of them were unprotected, wearing only mail on the back of their heads.

For some time I am very willing to reenact a 10th century Byzantine warrior, but i still have few gaps, I am unable to fill.
As in my country, reenacting battles are far more brutal than those in the west, I need to have much better protection to sustain the damage. For instance, we are not omitting heads as our targets, so sometimes the face is accidentally hit. That is why I need face protection that is lacking in the materials I have about Byzantine armament.

Yet once I found a trace of very interesting face protection with chainmail on the picture I have attached to this post. Does anyone know how true is that thing those blue riders have under their helmets:

if they were the heavy cavalry I think I already answered:
Nicephorus Phocas (963-969), Praecepta Militaria:

... Have heavily reinforced iron helmets so as to Cover Their Faces
with mail
or with flakes of iron two or three layers thick, so That They Appear
Their Eyes only ...

If they were light troops with something like this.

Attachment: 161.84 KB
Senza titolo-1.jpg
Skylitzen XI century. Madrid

Ciao
Maurizio
Jerzy Miklaszewski

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
f they were the heavy cavalry I think I already answered:

with mail or with flakes of iron two or three layers thick, so That They Appear
Their Eyes only ...

Sorry, I didn't notice that at all, even though I was searching for it then, but now I did read the thread twice.

The interesting thing is that what you said about hand protection - is there any archeological, iconographic trace of that kind of protection during that period?
I can have many theories of how such thing was made basing on the casual clothes and few descriptions that were mentioned in the treaties, yet I would prefer a more direct source.

"Work is of two kinds, first altering the position of matter at or near the earth's surface relatively to other such matter, second, telling other people to do so. The first is unpleasant and ill paid; the second is pleasant and highly paid."
Bertrand Russell

Art of the old swordmasters is back to the Castle of Kings!
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:

If they were the heavy cavalry I think I already answered:
with mail or with flakes of iron two or three layers thick, so That They Appear
Their Eyes only ...

Sorry, I didn't notice that at all, even though I was searching for it then, but now I did read the thread twice.
The interesting thing is that what you said about hand protection - is there any archeological, iconographic trace of that kind of protection during that period?
I can have many theories of how such thing was made basing on the casual clothes and few descriptions that were mentioned in the treaties, yet I would prefer a more direct source.

I have never spoken of protection to the hands. The protections are for the face.
In my post above talks about the difference in size between the thumb (Technical name pollex) and hand.
Nicephorus Phocas and Praecepta Militaria is a primary source, is not a modern author.

To protect the hands, I know that the late sixth century, Emperor Maurice says:
"...it is good that the "Buccelari", making use of iron gloves [cheiromanikia] and small feathers hanging from harnesses front and rear of the horses, as well as "small flags" hanging from their shoulders on chainmail. Rather than good looks, weapons, inspires self-confidence and inspire fear in the enemy..."

Strategikon, book I, cap II, pag. 34.
This is also a primary source.

These treaties, descriptions of the weapons are very detailed. That there are few descriptions is incorrect. Happy

Ciao
Maurizio
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When whe are (or rather where), on the topic;
This fellow has a theory on the construction of byzantine lammellar that I have not heard of before;
http://www.levantia.com.au/military/KKK.html

Proposed reconstructions;
http://www.levantia.com.au/military/armour.html

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Peter Raftos

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another conjectural reconstruction appears here: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...ellar.html
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Raftos wrote:
Another conjectural reconstruction appears here: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...ellar.html

This is the one I prefer. It makes more sense when you look at other types of lamellar and associated illustrations.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm trying to find Byzantine illustrations that show mail being worn under lamellar. There is one contender so far in this thread.
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to be off-topic, but what is the merit behind this fellow's claim that 12th-century kite shields (early heaters?) were worn with the arm going up through the straps from bottom-left to top-right (assuming one is left handed)? This always made more sense to me, but I seem to see a lot of people putting their arms down through the straps, from the top-left to the bottom-right.

http://www.levantia.com.au/military/crusarmour.html

Ex animo,

Connor
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Connor Ruebusch wrote:
Sorry to be off-topic, but what is the merit behind this fellow's claim that 12th-century kite shields (early heaters?) were worn with the arm going up through the straps from bottom-left to top-right (assuming one is left handed)? This always made more sense to me, but I seem to see a lot of people putting their arms down through the straps, from the top-left to the bottom-right.

http://www.levantia.com.au/military/crusarmour.html

This should probably go in a separate thread, but anyhow:
the strapping arrangements on early and high medevial shields where highly individualized. This is based both on illustrations and surviving examples. Before the 14th c, no two surviving shields are the same. In the 14th c, the diagonal grip shown on the page becomes standard.

This is not to say that earlier shields where not held that way, when used on foot. However, a knightly heater shield would at most times be hung on the shoulder for horseback use. It might only have a simple guige strapp, or separate strapping to attatch it to the upper or lower arm.
These shields would have additional staps for use without the guige. Of this use, the left-right diagonal seems to be the best (as suggested by its later universal adaption). Exactly how you place the straps to achieve this grip, however, was up to the user.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks! And yeah, sorry to derail the thread.

Elling I was actually picturing your shield when I was thinking of that. I've always loved that big heater, whenever I see it in photos. Anyway, thanks again.

Ex animo,

Connor
John Coris

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know

The riders are Byzantine Cataphracts (Cataphractoi in greek which means "all clad"). They were the ones wearing mail masks leaving only the eyes free.

In ecclesiastical paintings no cataphracts are ever depicted, because all saints have their faces free. Usually orthodox saints wear officers outfits. However, there is often a mix and match especially in later icons, when these armours were nowhere to be found.

The pteryges (wings) were taken from the hoplite armor and were used by infantrymen. Sometimes they were reinforced by the kremasmata (hangings). The emperor Basil II Bulgaroctonus depicted above wears cavalry armour with no pteryges (again an evolution of ancient greek cavalry thorax).

My apologies for replying from the top of my head and not citing, but my books are at my father's house...

Always excel and stay superior of others. (Homer - Iliad)
Connor Ruebusch

PostPosted: Fri 18 Feb, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:

if they were the heavy cavalry I think I already answered:

with mail
or with flakes of iron two or three layers thick, so That They Appear
Their Eyes only ...

If they were light troops with something like this.

What sort of iron masks would have been worn besides mail? These "flakes of iron" you refer to--what would those be? Any examples?

And how effective do we think the mail masks were? Unless there was something more beneath them, I can't imagine being struck in the face with a mask of mail on would be that much better than being struck in the face outright...

Ex animo,

Connor
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:

To protect the hands, I know that the late sixth century, Emperor Maurice says:
"...it is good that the "Buccelari", making use of iron gloves [cheiromanikia] and small feathers hanging from harnesses front and rear of the horses, as well as "small flags" hanging from their shoulders on chainmail. Rather than good looks, weapons, inspires self-confidence and inspire fear in the enemy..."

What is the original Greek term that Maurice uses? The word that has been translated as "small flags"
William P

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/...fences.htm heres an article on the usage of wrist armour around the 10th century,

but it mostly looks at answering the common presentation of the varangian guard wearing splinted greaves and vambraces,
i.e 'why do they keep illustrating the guard as wearing them if theres pretty much no evidence

but it also investigates examples of limb armour during and prior to the 10th century
might be of some help
Wyatt W

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To resurrect this topic 10 years later and perhaps add more but also pose a question relevant to its topic, how do we actually know that pteruges were even worn in the first place? Saint art is entirely suspect given its engagement in absurdism steeped in religious symbolism, totally unchanging nature across literal centuries in form or style, and in regards to other sources, the lack of mention in treatises regarding armor construction. It strikes me far more as an aesthetic bearing religious and cultural significance by harkening back to the heyday of Roman glory and the Hellenic culture Latin Romans were obsessed with as an initial Greek satellite.

Regarding armor construction however, one thing I would point out is that in both the Kataphraktoi and other cavalry/elite infantry units, earlier documentation that the Praecepta Militaria actually makes mention of quite remarkable hauberks, namely single piece constructions with sleeve length unspecified (I can pour over some books and PDF's I have tomorrow to double check), uniquely having a hem length down to the literal ankles, fixed in place by leather thongs. This actually sounds quite similar to the armor worn by Harald Hardrada on his return from his stint in the Varangian Guard, and would explain why no lamellar turns up in supposed vacationing Norse and their magical lamellar that some reenactors insist they had ( Razz ) - it was extremely lengthy and comprehensive hauberks all along!. This is also on top of a likely lamellar cuirass with possible arm defenses in the time of Leo VI according to his treatise, along with forearm and possibly even further shin defenses, and perhaps even the kremesmata on top of that. And then of course there would be the epilorika, although I feel most artistic reconstructions of it are poor because they forget the oft mentioned hood of the garment, and cut sleeves folded up over the shoulders or back and pinned to the collar bone to form a kind of silk pauldron. Notable too as a unique form of armor is the mention of silk vambraces in the praecepta, reinforced either by strips of maille (?) or perhaps a full coating maille, either on top of or in the middle of the vambrace, the specifics lost to time. I also actually comissioned an artist for a reconstruction image of my perception of the Kataphraktoi of the 10th century, kind of in-between the descriptions of Leo VI and Nikephoros Phokas.

Some notes however, the artist obviously did not go through the specific means of detailing the maces as I weren't one to quibble on minutia for the fairly inexpensive price of the commission (quite cheap in fact). The intention of the forearm is to try to come up with how the silk vambraces might have been, either with a maille coat on top/stitched or the fabric being exposed. The greaves are based on split armor of nearby steppe splints of the same time - I've always been and always will be skeptical of the rather crude looking reconstruction of Roman greaves having the appearance of that Swedish split armor from the 700's, it strikes me as rather primitive for the times when surrounding tribes without industry to speak of were wearing formed splint greaves.

Also regarding klibania toughness, considering it was probably just 1-2mm thick iron plates at best depending on how exactly ablative the lamellar weave was in effective thickness, I actually wouldn't be too confident in its standalone performance. The caveat is that at least for heavy units, klibania was merely one component of multiple layers of armor, more so than western equipment of the time, and in all likelihood the Kataphraktoi were very durable. Namely Epilorika - Klibania - Hauberk - Tunic/possible kabadion, I'm not too clear on what the 'arming garment' exactly was than some kind of thick tunic or kaftan depending on locale and cultural leanings of the respective solider. Even the ventail covering the face was comprised of 2-3 layers, all in all forming quite the durable panoply.

Quod Vult Valde Valt
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That helmet seems not too dissimilar as the Vendel helmets such as this one from Valsgarde 8:
[/list]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Byzantine query
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: