Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next 
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
If you have any questions please ask, I am not a good writer like Roger or J.D. are when it comes to new swords, sorry.

You do fine, Bro. Nice swords!
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Wed 11 Dec, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arms and Armor "one-off"....at least I assume its a one-off. Its basically a larger version of their French medieval sword and of bastard sword proportions.

They did a really great job on this piece and the edge is super sharp.

2019-12-11_04-07-57 by warspite15, on Flickr

2019-12-11_04-06-28 by warspite15, on Flickr

2019-12-11_04-06-11 by warspite15, on Flickr

2019-12-11_04-05-25 by warspite15, on Flickr

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Dec, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW - that thing is much more impressive in-hand than on the website! You'll have to give a more detailed report of its performance when you are able.

...On that note, if you study swordsmanship, what disciplines do you study? I ask as I am not keen on wheel pommels - they tend to bite into the hand too much in my experience.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 12 Dec, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. thank you very much for the compliment.

Bryan, nice grab. I saw it on A&A's site and was impressed with it's looks and size. I am also interested in hearing more thoughts on it.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Bryan Heff

PostPosted: Fri 13 Dec, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It handles really well, I would describe it as a true bastard sword obviously, very comfortable in single hand and of course with two hands you can really cleave I would imagine. I have not done any cutting with it but it certainly feels like you would be able to go through heavy targets. It has a 2 and 1/2 in wide blade that is 32 1/2 in Long so it's not going to outreach a true two-hander but the shorter blade fits into that category of multi-purpose sword. But overall with the approximately 7 inch grip the overall size feels pretty large while maybe not very long.
The edge geometry is excellent, no secondary bevel and very very sharp. Overall it feels very quick and nimble. The wheel pommel looks great with the sword but does have a slight bite into the palm when swinging fast. The grip is just big enough to get both of my hands fully on the grip but basically no space between, so to get better control I do need to at least two finger the pommel. The edges of the pommel are actually a bit sharp but could easily be rounded off a bit with some sandpaper which I will probably do.

Overall I am extremely happy with the sword. I really like the looks of it and the handling is excellent. The fit and finish is very very good, everything is perfectly lined up. The guard gap is small and the guard is well done. The pommel has some pits most likely from the casting process which some people would potentially not like but it doesn't bother me in the least. It gives the sword some really nice handmade characteristics. My biggest pet peeve is crooked or out of aligned parts and this has none of that. Worth every penny and a bonus that it was on sale for Black Friday.

The church is near but the roads are icy. The tavern is far but I will walk carefully. - Russian Proverb
Dan Peterson

PostPosted: Mon 30 Dec, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: My Last Sword         Reply with quote

My "last sword" of 2019 was actually a whole collection of SEVENTY swords and sort of became my "Christmas present to myself". On 20 December I went to the Nashville Flea Market, (which I try to visit every month), and it was pretty unremarkable without anything of great interest. Then, in the last building at one of the last booths before the exit was a massive collection of about 70 replica (and a few original) swords ranging from ancient Greek, Roman and Chinese ones up to a few up through the 19th century, but predominately from the Medieval period. I have always loved historical swords, and already have a sizable collection, and there were so many good ones, and at such great prices that I was really torn on which ones I wanted to buy since I didn't bring a lot of money - never expecting to run into something like this. The dealer had bought these at an estate sale and only took them because they were part of a larger lot with watches and knives which were what he normally dealt in. He said this was the first time he brought the swords to a flea market, and with many of them razor sharp, he didn't want to mess with them, and seeing how excited I was about them, he offered them ALL to me for $2500. -- which amounted to about $37.00 each which was a bargain I couldn't refuse! I told him I didn't have near enough money with me to buy them all, so he said he would hold them until I went to the bank to get the rest. needless to say, I made it to the bank and back and was able to buy them. There were a few I already had, and there were others that really don't fit into my collection that I will probably sell or trade, but all in all it is a really great collection and I will be able to expand my displays and programs with many of them. Ironically, there were even a few that I actually had designed for the Deepeeka company in India, where I went for many years when I lived in Germany, to help them develop their swords and armor! There are eight Albions, one Arms and Armor hand and a half, about a dozen Del Tins, quite a few Windlass, some of their best, I think, a few Hanwei, Deepeeka, some cheaper ones I can/t identify and a few original pieces but none that seemed particularly rare.I've attached an images of nearly all of them below.

Attachment: 209.37 KB
fmpurch_Viking2&Medievalsm.jpg

Attachment: 214.39 KB
fmpurch_Medieval1sm.jpg

Attachment: 202.25 KB
fmpurch_Medieval2sm.jpg

Attachment: 184.02 KB
fmpurch_Asiansm.jpg

Attachment: 388.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 298.13 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 261.31 KB
[ Download ]

Former Curator, 3d Armored Cavalry Museum, U.S. Army, El Paso, TX
Former Director, 1st Armored Division Museum, U.S. Army, Baumholder, Germany
Former Director, 3d Armored Division Museum, U.S. Army, Frankfurt, Germany
Former Director, Don F. Pratt (101st Airborne Div.) Museum, U.S. Army, Fort Campbell, KY
Author, The Roman Legions Recreated in Colour Photographs
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surprised

WOW! Did you manage to keep a straight face when he said how much he wants for the lot?
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, the 3rd last group alone is worth at least 10K or re-sale. Although I would keep those and sell the rest.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 13 Mar, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just received a nice package from Hungary. Several new messers and swords by Landsknecht Emporium.
The new additions include:
1. Gustav with antler handle and sheath.
2. Customized Adorian with clip point, antler handle, and sheath.
3. Falke with sheath.
4. Dürer longsword with customized cross-guard.

Below is my LE collection to date. L-R: Ballock dagger, Custom messer, New Gustav, Falke, Adorian, Landsknecht Sabel, Old Gustav, Dürer, Bauernwehr

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently picked up a reproduction smallsword. I purchased it off an online auction and wasn't really sure what to expect. The photos looked good, but I have been disappointed before. Not this time!

The sword and scabbard appear to be custom made and are of high quality. This is a pretty faithful reproduction of an American smallsword pictured in George C. Neumann's "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" (sword 216.S) and matches the swords measurements. I don't have a scale to weigh the sword, but I would estimate it at about 1 lb.[/img]

Attachment: 156.75 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 391.83 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 334.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 157.85 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 168.44 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 386.79 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 70.36 KB
[ Download ]

Sic Semper Tyranus
Tim Junge

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last swords was a hand and a half sword by lutel-handicraft:

And before that I got a twohanded sword by Wulflund:
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Modified "Vorpal" sword from the discontinued SBG Legendary Swords line of useable fantasy blades, made by BCI. Grip, leatherwork and scabbard by Steve Huerta. 5160 steel, slightly hollow ground, solid brass fittings.

https://imgur.com/a/1ayQBPd

Attachment: 81.21 KB
[ Download ]
Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass Erbach sword; a classic. Unbeatable for 149 Euro! Slight hollow grind, quite straight and even, not too bad peen... lucky shot! I always worried about the thin blade, but its stiff, and it sings.

Holger Mahling

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A "Kriegsmesser", made by Regenyei Armoury, Hungary. Big and impressive sword, though of a threatening elegance.
Blade made from EN45, very good edge geometry. sharp.

Christian Short

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Latest sword         Reply with quote

My most recent. Emiliano/Hopkins STEINVICK

Attachment: 93.73 KB
E7DB1801-9485-4F2D-A159-9A48CA59F921.jpeg
Steinvick

Christian
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest sword         Reply with quote

Christian Short wrote:
My most recent. Emiliano/Hopkins STEINVICK

That's amazing.

IMHO the Steinvick is the holy grail of Viking Swords.
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I picked this up from a fellow forumite last year - a Proto-Mortuary sword from Nielo of the Czech Republic. Nicely made with real rayskin grip, rebated blade and a decent leather scabbard with iron mounts.

Attachment: 10.48 KB
Mort.01.JPG

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Brian Downing

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword. Albion Earl. My first Albion in years but it was well worth the wait!

Attachment: 21.69 KB
20200505_140446_resize_9.jpg

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest is a Valiant Armoury Castillon Falchion, a close copy of one of the Castillon swords. It is a very nice piece

Attachment: 98.29 KB
F26s.jpg

Attachment: 97.91 KB
F1as.jpg

Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want one of those!
Why then the worlds mine oyster
Which I with sword will open.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 71 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: