Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Italian Sidesword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Italian Sidesword         Reply with quote

Hi everybody

I just finished this beauty. An Italian sidesword.

Stats:
Overall length: 104cm
Blade length: 90cm
Blade width: 3,6cm
PoB: 15cm in front of guard, 11cm in front of finger rings
CoP: 61cm / 57cm
Weight: 1130g

Sideswords are very interesting swords. They combine a long and slender blade that would not be uncommon on a late medieval arming sword with a complex hilt that already shows the development towards much more protective hilts. The fencing style shown in sources like Achille Marozzo’s treatise (1536) mirrors this with aspects of both the earlier as well as later period fencing sources.

Dynamically, this sword with its complex hilts offers excellent point control as well as a flowing and inviting presence in the cut. The 90cm long blade features a non-linear distal taper, keeping it suitably stiff for very effective thrusts as well as making the point light and nimble. The blade retains enough width all the way up to the point to allow for effective cutting actions with the entire edge. Overall, this sword manages to be very well balanced between cut and thrust without seemingly sacrificing much on either part.

The fittings are fire blackened which aside from its aesthetic value offers a degree of rust protection, quite useful on a piece where fingering the guard is the common way of holding the sword. The slight ricasso at the blade’s base features rounded edges to make this practice comfortable.

I hope you like it!

Custom sword maker:

http://www.lukasmaestlegoer.com
Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the hilt style a lot. A bit Norman 28 but a bit of 16,21 in style. I like blackening and plain finishes and it's nice when you see it on originals as was quite common I think but has sometimes been worn away or cleaned away. The ricasso is not squared off, I see, or thicker than the blade, so you chose to go with a continuation of the blade profile in the ricasso but just blunted ?

Attractive hilt. I like it.

Daniel
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I can not tell you how much I like that! What a great looking piece!
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to hear you guys like it!

Daniel Parry wrote:

The ricasso is not squared off, I see, or thicker than the blade, so you chose to go with a continuation of the blade profile in the ricasso but just blunted ?

Yes, the sword features a diamond cross section over the entire length with a shallow, blunted and rounded cut-out at the base forming the ricasso (if you want to call it such).

Custom sword maker:

Daniel Parry

PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Lukas

What examples did you use to decide the shape of the ricasso ? I am interested as most early-mid 16th century swords of that type that I have seen have what you would describe as a ricasso and it is squared off, blockish and more substantial than the blade which it continues from it (as you would see in rapiers). Some I have seen in museums and books (in books it's hard to tell sometimes depending on the quality of the photo) have what appears to be a ricasso/continuation of the blade below the rings which is more a rounded or blunted following of the shape of the blade. Of the examples I have seen these have been less common. As time goes on they largely disappear I think ? I am just interested on what examples you modelled it on to fill in my knowledge.

Cheers

Daniel
Edward Lee

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 13 Apr, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's the distal taper on this sword? Is 15cm balance a bit heavy?
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Parry wrote:
Hi Lukas

What examples did you use to decide the shape of the ricasso ? I am interested as most early-mid 16th century swords of that type that I have seen have what you would describe as a ricasso and it is squared off, blockish and more substantial than the blade which it continues from it (as you would see in rapiers). Some I have seen in museums and books (in books it's hard to tell sometimes depending on the quality of the photo) have what appears to be a ricasso/continuation of the blade below the rings which is more a rounded or blunted following of the shape of the blade. Of the examples I have seen these have been less common. As time goes on they largely disappear I think ? I am just interested on what examples you modelled it on to fill in my knowledge.

Cheers

Daniel

I cannot quote you exactly where I saw it to be honest. Might have been the Armoury in Dresden but I'm not sure. It was something I quite like the look off that I wanted to implement in the design. I agree that most originals (especially later ones) have a rectangular ricasso.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Lee wrote:
What's the distal taper on this sword? Is 15cm balance a bit heavy?

The distal taper varies. It starts with 6mm at the base and first tapers very gradually before increasing and again tapering out. At the CoP it's 4mm, at the tip 3mm.
The PoB is a static measurement that says little about how a sword moves dynamically. That being said, this blade does have a pleasant forward pull and moves very well in the cut but with the index finger over the guard it is not in any way overly tip heavy. The earlier Italian sidesword treatises feature a lot of cutting and some authority in the cut is quite beneficial.

Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword is now for sale. Asking price is 3400 Euros.
Custom sword maker:

Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jun, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword is sold. Thank you for looking Happy
Custom sword maker:

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Italian Sidesword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic