Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic Sword: Del Tin vs. Hanwei Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Laura N.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Celtic Sword: Del Tin vs. Hanwei         Reply with quote

My husband and I have decided on purchasing a Celtic style sword for our joint anniversary present and are debating on which to get. We are looking for one that is well made for cutting but I'm also a sucker for historical accuracy so would want one that is as close to historically accurate as I can find in our price range. We are looking to spend around $500. We've looked on Kult of Athena and see ones by Del Tin and Hanwei that seem like they might be good but as I've never seen them in person and know that all manufacturers in this price range can be hit or miss, I was wondering if anyone here could tell us which would meet our expectations. Of course we would add sharpening through KoA for the unsharpened one. We are open to other brands as well if they meet our expectations.
Laura
Arne G.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would suggest checking out the offerings here, as well:
https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/swords/ancient-swords/

There are some Czech manufacturers there, who's ancestors probably made the very thing you are looking for...
Dan D'Silva

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Between the Hanwei anthro sword and the Del Tin long sword, I don't think the Del Tin is spot-on in terms of historical accuracy, but it is far and away better than the Hanwei.

I haven't seen evidence of originals having knurled grips or rivets decorated in the same way as the Del Tin, so the ones from Wulflund look still better IMO. Could always be wrong though.
Edward Lee

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might be out of luck on the Del Tin Celtic sword because it's out of stock on kult of athena. Del Tin restock are pretty slow, along with the virus issue they have in Italy you might have to wait a very long time for it.

Speaking of Wulfund Kult of Athena does carry them, and this one is in stock
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...phic+Sword

While I cannot comment on how accurate this sword would be for celtic, the balance and thickness seems pretty good for the size of the sword.
Laura N.

PostPosted: Fri 20 Mar, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! We decided on the Fionn Celtic Chieftan Anthropomorphic Sword at KoA. But now we have to wait on Illinois to remove their shelter in place order. Oh well.
Laura

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Celtic Sword: Del Tin vs. Hanwei
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic