Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pattern Welded Rondel Dagger?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 22 Feb, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I encircled the part where I see the pattern welding if that helps anybody... Happy

Attachment: 122.91 KB
9b188989_e7ee_41f2_9255_7ab6992fd136_160.jpeg

Tyler C.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: More pictures and a some new information!         Reply with quote

I have just found that on the back of the blade there is a simple design cut into the flat. There is a large perpendicular cut which is immediately obvious, but on closer inspection there are other cuts behind the large cut (closer to the handle) that from a cross between two lines, and other lines that extend forward from the larger cut. I highlighted these cuts in the pictures below.

I have seen similar designs on the back edge of seax blades. Could this be evidence to support the idea that this could be a repurposed seax, or are similar designs found on medieval blades too?

Attachment: 70.43 KB
IMG_2475 (1).jpg
Back of blade with cut designs.

Attachment: 69.57 KB
IMG_2476 (1).jpg
Back of blade with cut designs highlighted.

Attachment: 146.71 KB
Back of blade with cut designs. Large [ Download ]

Attachment: 143.14 KB
Back of blade with cut designs highlighted. Large [ Download ]
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could easily be post-Medieval, too. Might even be Scottish - not the stereotypical Victorian dirk, but some older styles feature organic hilts with blades exactly like this.
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Feb, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, here's one example of 18th Century twisted steel with a similar pattern: http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=3837

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other thing which occurs to me is that a full-length whittle tang peened over a washer is a relatively fancy feature, most knives have just enough of a tang to anchor the blade in the grip. That supports the evidence of the blade shape that this dates sometime after 1300.

I get the impression that there were a lot of 14th century hilts carved or turned from wood/horn/ivory which don't fit nicely into our categories.

www.bookandsword.com
Tyler C.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Mar, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:
The other thing which occurs to me is that a full-length whittle tang peened over a washer is a relatively fancy feature, most knives have just enough of a tang to anchor the blade in the grip. That supports the evidence of the blade shape that this dates sometime after 1300.

I get the impression that there were a lot of 14th century hilts carved or turned from wood/horn/ivory which don't fit nicely into our categories.

Sean, I imagine you are right, but I have not seen any examples of 14th century blades that would fall into the 'other' category. Do you know of any examples?
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Thu 05 Mar, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tyler C. wrote:
Sean, I imagine you are right, but I have not seen any examples of 14th century blades that would fall into the 'other' category. Do you know of any examples?

Hi Tyler,

the Fashion in the Age of Datini page for Knives (Fighting) will get you started.

www.bookandsword.com
Tyler C.

PostPosted: Thu 19 Mar, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Manning wrote:

Hi Tyler,

the Fashion in the Age of Datini page for Knives (Fighting) will get you started.

Sorry about the hiatus.

Sean, That is a great resource! Thank you for posting. It really got the gears turning to see the many variants pictured.

Before I started this thread I thought I had seen a lot of rondel and bollock daggers. Since my last post I have been scouring the internet and books for every picture and bit of evidence that I can find. Still no examples of similar daggers with pattern welding, but after considering the many possibilities I think that the blade form makes the most sense combined with a late 14c style bollock dagger handle. There are certainly many other options that I think could also be plausible, but bollock won out in my mind. Here's a very quick sketch I did to visualize it. Time to get working on the recreation I suppose Big Grin .

Attachment: 33.3 KB
IMG_2797.jpg
Bollock handle.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pattern Welded Rondel Dagger??
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: