Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion smallsword project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian Luscombe

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Albion smallsword project         Reply with quote

I would like to hear more about Albion's project for the smallsword and any other 18th Century offerings. The medieval and pre Norman era is getting pretty good coverage from Albion so I am curious, apart from the Trafalgar Cutlass, if they will go forward in time any time soon.

Brian Luscombe
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion smallsword project         Reply with quote

Brian Luscombe wrote:
I would like to hear more about Albion's project for the smallsword and any other 18th Century offerings. The medieval and pre Norman era is getting pretty good coverage from Albion so I am curious, apart from the Trafalgar Cutlass, if they will go forward in time any time soon.

Brian Luscombe

Hey Brian!

Peter will be back in February, when Peter, Steve, Eric and Jason plan to document the original smallsword (which belonged to an aide of Washington's). From that we will be doing an exact recreation, and from that information plus other data that Peter has gathered, we will be doing a smallsword for the NextGen line. That would probably be in production by summer of '04.

The Trafalgar is currently in redesign, based on new information from an original that Peter and Eric documented recently -- the new version should be out early in '04.

Peter and Eric have also been working on another Swedish project from the early 1700's that is still under wraps.

At some point after February, we'll be letting Steve loose to start documenting pieces in several U.S. collections -- primarily "American" swords (many of which were, of course, made in Europe), ranging from the early Colonial period to the late 1800's.

I, personally, am very interested in Napoleonic/Empire period pieces as well, but we'll have to see what time allows.

I know that isn't very specific, but I hope that helps. I am always very interested in hearing what people want, so please feel free to drop me, Peter or any of the rest of the gang an email and let us know what you would like to see.

Best,

Howy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howy, if I can make a suggestion, might Albion consider recreating a hanger, as well as a smallsword?. I can't think of anyone who makes a first class version of one of these swords. A good hanger is a thing of beauty. See picture of an original below

Attachment: 66.54 KB
hanger1j.jpg

Brian Luscombe

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Albion smallsword project         Reply with quote

Howy,

I look forward to seeing all your new projects involving the 18th and 19th century swords. With the dedication and excellence you and your team at Albion put into the medieval swords, the new projects will be gems!

Brian
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Albion smallsword project         Reply with quote

Brian Luscombe wrote:
Howy,

I look forward to seeing all your new projects involving the 18th and 19th century swords. With the dedication and excellence you and your team at Albion put into the medieval swords, the new projects will be gems!

Brian

Roger -- that is a beaut! Hangers are definitely on our list.

Brian -- thank you so much for the kind words! We'll keep you posted on our progress.

Best,

Howy
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooo... smallswords and hangers... love them both. Here's an idea: Suppose you made a smallsword hilted hanger, like this guy below. I've been wanting one just like it for some time. Edit: The second pic is the full length, you'll have to click download.

Attachment: 45.39 KB
hangerhilt.jpg

Attachment: 30.68 KB
[ Download ]
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Holy smokes...         Reply with quote

Wow... That photo is incredibly similar to the sword we're planning to document and recreate. I It appears that about the only difference is that the blade on this one seems to be a bit wider. Actually the one we have access to is perhaps just a bit thinner overall - hilt components and blade.

Final decision hasn't yet been made as to whether we'll do this sword or not. The sword is from a personal collection, and they're willing to assist us in documenting the history of it. We just have to figure out if enough of them will sell to recoup the R&D costs (travels to Philadelphia for family information on the sword's past owners as well as basic physical documentation and recreation).

It's rather amusing... the couple brought the sword to us in its display case. They said that it's been in the family since the dawn of time, and it hangs in their family room. They said they they've never taken it out of the case, and don't know much about it. They admit that they have somewhat taken it for granted. By the time Howy got done showing them similar examples of swords in history books, and Peter finished explaining many of the attributes of the piece, the couple fell in love with it. They said they've been viewing it as a piece of family history that hangs on their wall, but never thought of it being quite as special as it is. The little sword went home with even more pride than when it arrived. :-)

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Holy smokes...         Reply with quote

Amy Christensen-Waddell wrote:

Final decision hasn't yet been made as to whether we'll do this sword or not. The sword is from a personal collection, and they're willing to assist us in documenting the history of it. We just have to figure out if enough of them will sell to recoup the R&D costs (travels to Philadelphia for family information on the sword's past owners as well as basic physical documentation and recreation).

Well, I gauruntee you'll have one buyer. I've been wanting a sword like this ever since I saw it. You say the one you're replicating is in Philadelphia? Interesting, because I took this photo at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. If you're traveling to Philly, you should definately check out the museum. Excellent arms and armor display, and you can see this similar sword as well.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you folks at Albion want to make an American hanger to match the American smallsword, consider this one, once owned by George Washington --

Attachment: 46.99 KB
hanger gw2j.jpg

Brian Luscombe

PostPosted: Wed 05 Nov, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Albion smallsword project         Reply with quote

From what I have been led to believe, Officers wore their standard swords on parade, but preferred hunting swords or "hangers" for battle. A nice selection of both would be popular and also open up a long neglected market in both swords and appreciation of North American history.

Brian Luscombe

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion smallsword project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic