Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your 18th century swords! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg and Glen

You have touched on two of the main reasons I got this piece. I have not seen many hunting swords or knives with a knife and fork trousse intact, though I have in books and museum collections. Most hangars I see are without their scabbards and so it is hard to tell how common this accessory arrangement was. But I like it too. It sort of brings the history of the piece to life as I can imagine the owner stopping mid-hunt for a bit of lunch by a stream and eating some bread and cheese and maybe a bit of smoked meat with his companions before resuming the hunt.

The engraving on the blade is very crisp. It is deep with a stippled background to the scenes which has helped keep it crisp I think. The gilding has worn a bit as you would expect either through cleaning during its life (as a hunting sword would likely see much more actual use than smallsword of the period unless the owner had a particularly exciting and dangerous life) or contact with the scabbard or cleaning since becoming a collector's piece.

The swan I love. It has the feathers picked out in detail and even the feathers on the back of its neck. I take it as a sleeping swan although it might be a swan killed in the hunt.

I agree, Glen, that you find some wierd and wonderful beasts on decorated hilts of this type sometimes and the portrait you attach is an excellent example - exotic to say the least. I am not sure what the heads on the end of the quillons are. I thought they were ducks but a friend thinks they are fish ?

It also makes me appreciate why hangars were popular as a naval sword. The sword is not long but robust and capable of cutting and thrusting in a confined space.
Trond W

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm new here, but has been collecting since the early 1960's. I only collect originals and don't really understand the interest for replicas or fantasy blades.
Having collected for close to 60 years, I now have two separate collections, one of long-guns designed and made by a Norwegian gunsmith and his two sons over the transition period or, more precisely 1848-1897.
The other collection is Danish/Norwegian and Norwegian military arms, covering long-guns, pistols and blades from 1604-1963. This collection is fairly comprehensive and my wife, at times, finds she's living in a museum and not a home.

Anyhow, for this thread I'll show a basket of Danish/Norwegian cavalry swords from the 18. century. Sorry not being able to post it as a picture.

https://ln2.sync.com/dl/745a97550/s7s6znqr-spgry5tc-saizcrh5-y5t2fqax

http://norskevaapen.no/
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a early to mid 18th century hanger sword (or cutlass) made by Old Dominion Forge, that I purchased a couple of years ago for 18th century reenacting. 32" overall with a 26" single edged blade in carbon steel. Hilt is iron with a solid Ebony handle. Weight is about 1.4 pounds. Based on #15.S in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution (which was also the inspiration for Johnny Depp's sword in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies).

Attachment: 121.52 KB
ODFsword.JPG

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 25 Feb, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Trond

I get a loading error for the first link but I had seen your other link in the past. Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers
GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your 18th century swords!
Page 13 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: