Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Strange Curves: An Odd Tulwar Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Perpinder S

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Strange Curves: An Odd Tulwar         Reply with quote

I like tulwars. Curvy ones, less-curvy ones, thick, skinny - I'm open-minded.

I came across a tulwar that struck me as unusual. Pics attached below.

It's claimed to be an 18-19th century sword, with a jade hilt, and made with wootz steel. The pattern looks like wootz, the hilt shape and decoration looks like it could be 18-19th century, maybe older; however, I can't recall seeing an authentic 18-19th century (or older) tulwar with this kind of blade profile. See how the blade appears to have an incredibly broad fuller, and a pronounced ridge along the outside edges of the blade, and distinct bevel.

The blade does not look like its from the 18th-19th century; it looks like something newly designed, something a Cold Steel might make. But the steel looks like wootz to me, and not the more modern pattern-weld stuff coming from India.

What are your thoughts about the shape? Does this look like a genuine 18-19th century (or older) tulwar? Have you seen older tulwars with this kind of profile (broad fuller, pronounced ridges, pronounced beveled edge)?

(Sorry - I wasn't sure how to show my downloaded pictures within the post).

Attachment: 69.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 36.01 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 67.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 146.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 92.8 KB
[ Download ]
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not an expert, but I agree with your assessment. If that sword is more than 20 years old, it has always been a wall hangar, in my view. Of course that handle implies that it is a parade or show piece, but that scabbard is not. The sword doesn’t even look very polished, considering its condition, and the curve isn’t enough to match the preferences of the claimed era.

Does the source claim a region of origin?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you know how much it weighs?
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Perpinder S

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed, it looks like the sword has never been used, and the hilt indicates a more decorative purpose. To be fair, jade hilts were used with swords in previous centuries; however, jade was far less commonly used with sword hilts than with hilts for daggers (khanjars, pesh kabaz etc.).

That said, the blade looks like it is wootz, which generally indicates a higher-quality blade. It could be that the sword has been a wall-hanger, or was carried by some minor Indian nobility or other. However, that broad fuller in the sword - with the prominent ridges on the edge of the blade - just looks unusual. I haven't come across an older tulwar with such a profile. That makes me think this a newly manufactured sword but again, the steel looks like wootz. I am not experienced enough to tell if this is wootz or some kind of fake wootz (patterened-etching etc.).

What are your thoughts on the profile, outside of the curve? I'm actually not too fussed about the curve of the blade, but rather that broad fuller scooped out of the middle of the blade, and distinct ridges on the edges of the blade.

Gregg Sobocinski wrote:
I am not an expert, but I agree with your assessment. If that sword is more than 20 years old, it has always been a wall hangar, in my view. Of course that handle implies that it is a parade or show piece, but that scabbard is not. The sword doesn’t even look very polished, considering its condition, and the curve isn’t enough to match the preferences of the claimed era.

Does the source claim a region of origin?
Perpinder S

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jan, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know the weight but the sword's dimensions appear to be somewhat larger than average period pieces, particularly the size of the hilt. The sword's dimensions are as follows:

Overall sword length: 40 1/2"
Blade length : 33 1/2"

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Do you know how much it weighs?
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perpinder,

I just want to comment that, regardless of authenticity or function, you've found a very attractive sword. The jade hilt does not inspire confidence in use, but that was likely never the intent of this particular weapon.

If you do not mind this question, is this something for sale? I will not ask where it might be for sale, but if it is, about what are the sellers asking for it?
Perpinder S

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your message. I'm not at leave to say at this time, but will post the purchase price once the transaction is closed.

Michael Beeching wrote:
Perpinder,

I just want to comment that, regardless of authenticity or function, you've found a very attractive sword. The jade hilt does not inspire confidence in use, but that was likely never the intent of this particular weapon.

If you do not mind this question, is this something for sale? I will not ask where it might be for sale, but if it is, about what are the sellers asking for it?
Perpinder S

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had concerns about this sword actually being from the 18th/19th century, given my unfamiliarity with the profile; however, further examination, and input from those more knowledgeable than myself, has sufficiently quelled my doubts. Among others, I touched base with the principal of Ipostswords and he was kind enough to share his thoughts as well.

Hilts made from jade, while not common, were found on swords throughout Asia. Generally, only the well-off could afford such swords, and in the 18th/19th century, this sword would likely have been used as a show of prestige and wealth. The Indian sub-continent was lousy with minor royal families at the time, and you couldn't throw a rock without hitting some prince or other. The quality of the sword, particularly, that the blade is made of wootz, indicates the sword was likely owned by some prince or other variety of rich guy. Most soldiers in the field could not afford swords of this quality, which may explain why the sword looks so clean.

The hilt is carved with a floral motif, and the sword has a pronounced yelman, which is consistent with many tulwars from the 17th-19th century. The seller claims the steel is wootz and it looks like wootz to me and other third parties I consulted.

All in all, it still looks unusual to me, but is quite beautiful. Unfortunately, I still do not have leave to disclose the price, other than saying the sword is worth a few thousand dollars.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Strange Curves: An Odd Tulwar
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic