Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help on identifiying the source of a work of art Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Octavio Iqbal

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jan, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Help on identifiying the source of a work of art         Reply with quote

In this image i can recognise the soldier being swiss papal guards, but im more curious about the mansucript or larger work of art it makes part of. Google image search gives no results ;(.

Attachment: 119.76 KB
7b3d9c8d33763d0988a719f3c2e27ec5.jpg

Anthony Clipsom

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In this image i can recognise the soldier being swiss papal guards, but im more curious about the mansucript or larger work of art it makes part of. Google image search gives no results ;(.

It's from the Waffenbuch of Hans Döring from 1544-45, according to John Waldman in Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.. The shield at the top is labelled Appenzell and the badge of this canton is a black bear today. I presume whichever source you found the image in identified these as papal guards but did not give the details of the image? I don't know if Doring makes this connection.

Incidentally, one curiosity of this image is the old man on the left is clealy equipped from an earlier time - the late 15th-beginning16th century. Presumably the reason for this is in Dörings text.

Anthony Clipsom
Octavio Iqbal

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jan, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anthony Clipsom wrote:
Quote:

It's from the Waffenbuch of Hans Döring from 1544-45, according to John Waldman in Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe.. The shield at the top is labelled Appenzell and the badge of this canton is a black bear today. I presume whichever source you found the image in identified these as papal guards but did not give the details of the image? I don't know if Doring makes this connection.

Incidentally, one curiosity of this image is the old man on the left is clealy equipped from an earlier time - the late 15th-beginning16th century. Presumably the reason for this is in Dörings text.

Thanks man! This is exactly the info I was lookong for!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help on identifiying the source of a work of art
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic