Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eric McHugh Met recreation Type X Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Eric McHugh Met recreation Type X         Reply with quote

I have worked with Eric before on a couple projects and he has always done *incredible* work. I have been wanting some smaller swords for a while now so I contacted Eric with some ideas. Turned out that he had documented a sword in the Met that was exactly what I was looking for. I figured that the extra research and first hand knowledge he had of the sword would result in something special and I wasn't wrong. Eric knocked it out of the park with this one. I'm posting a pic I lifted from his site and a pic I took myself of a few of the pieces I've gotten from him over the years, as well as a link to his write up on his site. I'm not great with reviews but I'll say the following:
Working with Eric is easy. He's a great communicator and is honest when there are setbacks, which there were with this sword. I never felt like he was dodging me or ignoring me and that made times when there wasn't a lot of progress entirely bearable. Eric has a full time job that isn't swords so a wait is just fine. The result speaks for itself in my opinion. His work has always been without fault, from my first seax I bought from him 12ish years ago to the sword I received from him last year. This sword has shown a step change in my opinion. It is entirely flawless. The feel of the sword is amazing. It's light and lively but still has a bite. The grip seam is completely invisible, and the linen underneath gives a really subtle texture that feels great. The hilt components are like the original, only made a bit more symmetrical and perfect while still keeping the handmade feel. The pommel may now be my favorite sword pommel. The round edges make it very comfortable. The scabbard and belt are perfect as is the chape. I own more than a few swords and have owned many more from many smiths and Eric is among the very best. I can't say enough good things about this sword. 11/10!

https://crownforge.net/2019/11/09/met-sword-recreation/

Attachment: 562.89 KB
mtg9074web.jpg

Attachment: 195.04 KB
[ Download ]
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on having this sword made by Eric Tim! I actually have this one bookmarked as a potential purchase sometime down the road. Alas it will not be by Eric anytime soon since his queue is full for the upcoming year.

I have been watching the in progress shots on Facebook and have to say that the whole package looks magnificent. I am looking forward to your review once you have received it.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Tim, thats a great line up and unique addition to your larger collection of Viking and high medieval swords.

I don't recall the Brazil nut. Is that based on the same original as my 'Norman Rider'? (I recall you were not happy with another version so suspect a connection.)
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Tim!

That's just perfect. So attractive in every way. The combination of cross and pommel is just. . . well. . . neat.
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Congratulations Tim, thats a great line up and unique addition to your larger collection of Viking and high medieval swords.

I don't recall the Brazil nut. Is that based on the same original as my 'Norman Rider'? (I recall you were not happy with another version so suspect a connection.)

It's an amalgam of similar swords. Eric did it for me a few years ago. This new one is amazing. I know Eric is doing a sword for you at the moment too. You won't be disappointed....
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sun 10 Nov, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Congratulations on having this sword made by Eric Tim! I actually have this one bookmarked as a potential purchase sometime down the road. Alas it will not be by Eric anytime soon since his queue is full for the upcoming year.

I have been watching the in progress shots on Facebook and have to say that the whole package looks magnificent. I am looking forward to your review once you have received it.

I have it in my hands! It's soooooooo nice. Eric does great work so if you get a chance....
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim,

Is there inlay on the original? I can't see any.

When is this dated?. I would guess 1050 or so.
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Tim,

Is there inlay on the original? I can't see any.

When is this dated?. I would guess 1050 or so.

No inlay on the original. The date sounds about right....
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

I have it in my hands! It's soooooooo nice. Eric does great work so if you get a chance....

I got one of his last slots for next year and seeing this one and Doug's St. Annen shots makes me look forward to next year even more!

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Eric McHugh Met recreation Type X
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic