Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Blog on Website Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: A&A Blog on Website         Reply with quote

Morning folks. We have initiated a blog on our website to describe some of our work, product and research in short descriptions and videos. It's a work in progress and we will be doing a bunch of different things so far we have posted up a variety of things from new features on existing pieces we make to brand new items. We will also cover some of our history as a company and how we do what we do. Check it out if interested. I will post periodic updates on this thread when we post things of interest to folks and we are always happy to answer questions.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The new website is pretty snazzy! Will you bring back the in-stock list at some point?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: In stock         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
The new website is pretty snazzy! Will you bring back the in-stock list at some point?

Hi Chad

Yes in some form it will be available. We are continuing to add things and adjust as we sort out how things work for people and what they like or miss from the old site. We hope to also get to a point where we will have that indicated on the item pages. Its our busiest time of the year so we have a lot going on :-) and we will probably be working the site for a while yet to get everything where we would like.

Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We have a new blog post in our three part series on the points to consider when purchasing a training sword. In this post we look at hilt components like the guard and the grip. There are also a couple of new swords in our Special Offers section of the website (we use to call it the muster page). We hope to have a few more pieces up here over the next few days as well. Let us know if any of them need to be yours and we can set that up or you can just purchase online direct.

If you are in Michigan, Minnesota or Wisconsin we will be at three events this weekend. So if your able stop by at SparBQ VI, The Minnesota Renaissance Festival or the Bristol Renaissance Faire and check out some weapons and say HI!

Have a great day
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Third post in our series about buying a trainer.         Reply with quote

Our Third blog post about choosing a training sword.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: New Blog Posts to distract from work today :-)         Reply with quote

Click here for link to some of our newer blog posts.

We do some comparison between wear on a period trainer and a modern version of the sword, look at the Schloss Erbach Sword, discuss some maintenance tips and todays post a look at the Black Prince Sword part 1!

We hope this keeps you from being productive today :-)

Edited to fix my stupid link mistake. Worried
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Black Prince Sword blog post         Reply with quote

Our Black Prince highlight post has part 2 up today.

Check it out here

check out the video and how the sword met us for the first time :-)
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 20 Sep, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Blog Post SLO vs what we do         Reply with quote

This time of year we are out at events and fairs selling to the public. Well actually its much more an educational job than selling. We are trying to communicate the beauty, function and design of the original swords we replicate, the swords kind of sell themselves :-). Our post today on the blog starts a conversation about what is different between swords of the past and SLOs and what our approach to a sword entails.

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Sep, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Special Offers Page         Reply with quote

Our blog post today highlights our Special Offers Page many of you may remember the Muster Page and this is its new incarnation. We will have new things going up as often as we can including a new sword up today, These are as usual one ofs so once they sell they are gone. Hope it provides some interesting things for folks and we look forward to having some fun stuff up here as time goes along.

Check it out
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: A&A Blog Contest and more!         Reply with quote

We have a couple new blog posts up since my last post. Today we are announcing our Pumpkin Destruction Contest! A fun way to spread some Halloween joy with you’re A&A weapons! All we ask is for folks to be safe and have fun!

We also have a highlight post on our Towton Sword. One of our preferred cutting swords. Rondel Daggers have been a favorite of the shop for a long time, here we cover some pieces we have made in the past and some historical info on this interesting side arm. We also have a couple of one of rondels available on our Special Offers Page.

Our research is always ongoing and at times we are able to support and enhance others understanding and knowledge of history as well. Here we describe an exhibit we collaborated on oakeshott-post" target="_blank" class="postlink">Swords and the Secret Life of Books with the Wangensteen Historical Library at the University of Minnesota and and The Oakeshott Institute. bringing old swords, old books and The Princess Bride all together Happy
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Become a Smith and more on the A&A Blog         Reply with quote

We have a couple new posts on the blog covering a range of things :-)

Today's post is all about what it takes to get started as a blacksmith. It's a craft that can be done on many levels and we encourage folks with a desire to give it a try. You can start small and cost should not be a barrier its your desire to hit hot metal that should get you started

We also have had an interesting look at some of the material support and insight we share with experimental Archeology research

If your starting to think about the upcoming gift season we also have a guide for the Viking on your gift list. In the spirit of inclusiveness we tried to include all the vikings we come across and being in MInnesota that means there are quite a few varieties :-)

Holiday Tip:
Also don't forget to decide which sword you are carving the Turkey with early enough to get it sharpened.

You can check out all our blog posts here.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 01 Nov, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Winners of the Pumpkin Destruction Contest!         Reply with quote

Pumpkin Destruction Contest

...and the winners are!

We hope this brings a smile to your day !

Happy to help with anyone looking for adding to your arsenal for your next holiday weapons needs. Surprised [/img]
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Big Sword and other interesting stuff         Reply with quote

A&A Update
We have a big sword up in our Special Offers section. Total length is ~65" and its about as long of a sword as possible without having to build new equipment :--)

The weight is just under 5 and a half pounds, so she moves very very well in the hand but you would want to have some decent ceiling height. Eek!

We also have a couple of new posts you might find interesting. A discussion of what does "Battle Ready" mean. We put up a gift guide for your friends and family, so they can pick you out something nice for the holidays.

Today we posted some info and examples of Landskencht arms for those of you who like that kind of thing.

Hope everyone is doing well
A&A
Jeremiah Swanger

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 15 Nov, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Sword and other interesting stuff         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
A&A Update
We have a big sword up in our Special Offers section. Total length is ~65" and its about as long of a sword as possible without having to build new equipment :--)

The weight is just under 5 and a half pounds, so she moves very very well in the hand but you would want to have some decent ceiling height. Eek!

We also have a couple of new posts you might find interesting. A discussion of what does "Battle Ready" mean. We put up a gift guide for your friends and family, so they can pick you out something nice for the holidays.

Today we posted some info and examples of Landskencht arms for those of you who like that kind of thing.

Hope everyone is doing well
A&A

So, this was kind of freaky...

Without reading any of the stats, I click on the link and see the sword. The picture comes up and I'm like "oh, it's kind of like the sword in Munich-- very nice!"

Then I see the following numbers:

65" OAL
48" Blade length
2.5" blade width
5.4 lbs

And it finally hits me... "wow... that's a mighty big sword..."

I think what threw me off initially was that it was proportioned so well, it actually *looked* significantly-smaller than its actual size! That's actually pretty impressive, if you think about it!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Big Sword and other interesting stuff         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

And it finally hits me... "wow... that's a mighty big sword..."

I think what threw me off initially was that it was proportioned so well, it actually *looked* significantly-smaller than its actual size! That's actually pretty impressive, if you think about it!

:-) Hi Jeremiah

Yes this sword does have that character. I have been planning to post a pic in hand to give folks a better perspective. I will try to get that done today.

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Two Hander in Hand         Reply with quote

Here is an image of the sword in hand

Best
Craig
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig,

Let me first note that I very much enjoy your blog posts - well done, Sir!

Next, I do have a technical design question regarding very large swords - hopefully it shouldn't be a bother to answer:

How much does the pommel contribute to cutting swords with blades exceeding 40"? It often seems that the largest swords, such as the Landsknecht zweihanders, seem to have proportionately small pommels. Though the pommel serves in part as a mass balance, it also acts as a harmonic damper. Does the mass requirement for the pommel actually drop as the grip gets longer in general?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
Craig,

Let me first note that I very much enjoy your blog posts - well done, Sir!

Next, I do have a technical design question regarding very large swords - hopefully it shouldn't be a bother to answer:

How much does the pommel contribute to cutting swords with blades exceeding 40"? It often seems that the largest swords, such as the Landsknecht zweihanders, seem to have proportionately small pommels. Though the pommel serves in part as a mass balance, it also acts as a harmonic damper. Does the mass requirement for the pommel actually drop as the grip gets longer in general?

Hi Michael
Hmmm good question. I will try to be concise. The size and shape of the pommel is less useful the longer the blade gets as its affect on the leverage of the sword is reduced as the grips rarely increase proportionally. That being said the pommel needs to work in harmony with the rest of the sword to create a tool that works correctly. This means you also want the right tool for the purpose so many elements need to work in concert.

The pommel specifically on the longer two handers can be smaller as the weapon is tuned a bit differently than a shorter sword. As a sword is crafted I have a few steps I try to teach folks to get it right. A good blade will fell good in the hands with out a hilt (in most cases). That you do not want to hinder the way the blade should move with hilt weight, rather think of it as augmenting the characteristics of the sword you intend to make. So in the case of two handed swords the proportional weight of the pommel becomes less of a factor in the overall of the weapon.

Hope that makes sense.

Craig
Michael Beeching

PostPosted: Wed 20 Nov, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Craig,

It's certainly a nice pointer. At some point, I really just need to crack open a few books and run some numbers. When or where I'll do this, I cannot say, but it's really what needs to be done for questions like this. Thank you for your time!
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Holiday Specials         Reply with quote

Check out our blog for info on the Holiday Specials we have on the horizon. We also have a post with a video on our Oakeshott Sword Here and an interactive 3D model of the original.

Best
from A&A Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > A&A Blog on Website
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: