Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Importing custom sword to Canada? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hass Fernen

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Importing custom sword to Canada?         Reply with quote

Hello, I am in the process of commissioning a sword (say around 3000-4000 Canadian dollars)

Most of my arms and armour, I have bought from Kult of Athena, but this is a custom piece I am commission and is coming from Europe.

Does anyone have experience with Canadian customs and import duties for custom pieces.

Are there any laws that I need to be vary of when ordering a custom piece. The maker has never shipped to Canada before.

How much are import duties for a custom swords of this price, is it the same as any other import costs (13%)?

Province of Ontario btw.

Thank you
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not from Canada, I can't comment on most of the post, but as a shipper I would say that Canadian customs can sit on things for quite a long time; a few weeks even, before they are released.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Wed 13 Mar, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have received swords in Ontario from Poland, UK, Sweden, some of them custom. I don't think it matters to customs whether its a production piece or custom built, if the paperwork is done properly. Usually it went pretty smoothly at the other end but one time it took several attempts to get a sword out of Sweden. It seems to depend on the country, what the package is called, and how the shipment is handled. A professional should know what to do, especially since a lot of their market is likely to be in North America. There was never any problem at our end, other than some waiting for customs clearance. Make sure you have a tracking number so at least you will know where it is. I don't recall any special customs rates, seemed about the same as shipping from USA....although I've been charged anything from $0-$300 customs on similarly priced swords from USA, so who knows how they figure this out. I have a feeling they get drunk and then use a dart board with different customs charges on it. Wink
Hass Fernen

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Not from Canada, I can't comment on most of the post, but as a shipper I would say that Canadian customs can sit on things for quite a long time; a few weeks even, before they are released.

Tod

Hey Tod, thanks for the reply. Yea Canadian customs does take its sweet time. Other than that is the paperwork the same as shipping to the US? Or is it tougher?
Hass Fernen

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
I have received swords in Ontario from Poland, UK, Sweden, some of them custom. I don't think it matters to customs whether its a production piece or custom built, if the paperwork is done properly. Usually it went pretty smoothly at the other end but one time it took several attempts to get a sword out of Sweden. It seems to depend on the country, what the package is called, and how the shipment is handled. A professional should know what to do, especially since a lot of their market is likely to be in North America. There was never any problem at our end, other than some waiting for customs clearance. Make sure you have a tracking number so at least you will know where it is. I don't recall any special customs rates, seemed about the same as shipping from USA....although I've been charged anything from $0-$300 customs on similarly priced swords from USA, so who knows how they figure this out. I have a feeling they get drunk and then use a dart board with different customs charges on it. Wink

Thanks for the reply J.D., package is coming from France. Shipper has shipped to US before but not Canada, assuming the paper work is the same. I'm sure he can handle it, but I'm just worried on my end as blade laws are ever changing here. I used the Duty and Taxes Estimator on the CBSA website https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html
options as Ontario, jewelry, custom jewelry, 4000 CAD, outside of NAFTA (elsewhere), and got an estimate of 900 CAD. I know it's not jewelry but it was the closest thing they had to a sword category. I'm assuming Its gonna add at least another 1K to my bill. 1/5th of the total price is gonna be for taxes. Lol lets hope they land on something below 400 CAD at least for my sake.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 15 Mar, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hass Fernen wrote:

Thanks for the reply J.D., package is coming from France. Shipper has shipped to US before but not Canada, assuming the paper work is the same. I'm sure he can handle it, but I'm just worried on my end as blade laws are ever changing here. I used the Duty and Taxes Estimator on the CBSA website https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html
options as Ontario, jewelry, custom jewelry, 4000 CAD, outside of NAFTA (elsewhere), and got an estimate of 900 CAD. I know it's not jewelry but it was the closest thing they had to a sword category. I'm assuming Its gonna add at least another 1K to my bill. 1/5th of the total price is gonna be for taxes. Lol lets hope they land on something below 400 CAD at least for my sake.

900 sounds pretty steep. But it depends what value the seller indicates on the shipping documents. I'm not advocating mail fraud, but my own post office typically only puts down the insured value which maxes out at 1000 here. I prefer mail over courier. No problems with the law on blades here, but I understand your nerves over an expensive piece like this. Is it from Gael?
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Montreal area. Quebec province. I have brought swords , and blades, in from the Czech Republic ( Vladimir Cervenka), Great Britain ( Owen Bush) and Italy ( Fulvio Del tin). Never had any hang ups at customs, but be aware that there will be a bill from the customs broker and the appropriate sales taxes will be added on too.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Hass Fernen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Montreal area. Quebec province. I have brought swords , and blades, in from the Czech Republic ( Vladimir Cervenka), Great Britain ( Owen Bush) and Italy ( Fulvio Del tin). Never had any hang ups at customs, but be aware that there will be a bill from the customs broker and the appropriate sales taxes will be added on too.

Thanks for the info, what was you experience with the sales tax amount (is it dependent on the provincial amount?) and the brokerage amount? Percentage wise.
Hass Fernen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Hass Fernen wrote:

900 sounds pretty steep. But it depends what value the seller indicates on the shipping documents. I'm not advocating mail fraud, but my own post office typically only puts down the insured value which maxes out at 1000 here. I prefer mail over courier. No problems with the law on blades here, but I understand your nerves over an expensive piece like this. Is it from Gael?

Shipping is done my DHL on his end I believe. That is true. I am planning to get it insured, so this might be a bonus. I would have to ask him about the declaration stuff. Hehehe what mail fraud? If there is a loophole its on them not us right? Damn I gave too much away right? How'd you guess? The commission isn't finalized yet though, so I don't wanna get anyones hopes up for those expecting to see a new piece by Gael.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Importing custom sword to Canada?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic