Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with dating and ID'ing a dagger. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Help with dating and ID'ing a dagger.         Reply with quote

Can somebody help me with some questions about this dagger?

1) Is this a rondel dagger? (the end plate says yes but the looped hilt plate has me wondering)
2) The museum catalogue dates this thing 1400-1500 but the loop hilt indicates to me more like 1470-1550?
3) Any guesses as to where this was made? Germany is a prime candidate but the UK might also be, it is also possibly an Italian export.
4) There is no sign of a second loop that might have broken off but I might be wrong, did these things usually have one or two loops?

The knife was found with a small by-knife that seems to have been slipped through the loop in the hilt into a side or 'pocket' scabbard attached to the dagger sheath.

Thanks to anybody who takes the time to answer.

[/img]

Attachment: 203.12 KB
[ Download ]
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also this is supposedly a piece of the above dagger. I'm wondering if it is a lobe that used to be on the hilt on opposite side to the loop?

Attachment: 36.5 KB
unknown.png

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks like a ‘Landsknecht’ dagger to me. You can search the forums here for original and recreation examples.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kai Lawson wrote:
That looks like a ‘Landsknecht’ dagger to me. You can search the forums here for original and recreation examples.

That's what I figured. Any idea what the little eyelet in the broken off lobe was for?
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looked familiar. It's along the same lines as the dagger that inspired this repro by Tod.

https://myArmoury.com/dagg_tod_landsk.html
Kristjan Runarsson

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
It looked familiar. It's along the same lines as the dagger that inspired this repro by Tod.

I agree, so mine is probably German, dated 1480-1560 or something like that, not 1400-1500 like the museum catalogue says. I am going to make a re-pro too although my original is not quite as nicely made as yours seems to have been. I'll have to go back to the museum and check if that lobe might have been broken off the opposite side of the dagger's hilt before I go hunting for an old wheel saw blade or something to make my re-pro out of. What did you make your blade out of? Spring steel blanks are almost impossible to get in my neck of the woods. All I can get is huge 6 mm blanks thick bars of spring steel or bits and pieces of scrap metal. Other than that all the steel re-sellers seem to have is iron, stainless and C20 mild steel.
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kristjan Runarsson wrote:
Victor R. wrote:

I agree, so mine is probably German, dated 1480-1560 or something like that, not 1400-1500 like the museum catalogue says. I am going to make a re-pro too although my original is not quite as nicely made as yours seems to have been. I'll have to go back to the museum and check if that lobe might have been broken off the opposite side of the dagger's hilt before I go hunting for an old wheel saw blade or something to make my re-pro out of. What did you make your blade out of? Spring steel blanks are almost impossible to get in my neck of the woods. All I can get is huge 6 mm blanks thick bars of spring steel or bits and pieces of scrap metal. Other than that all the steel re-sellers seem to have is iron, stainless and C20 mild steel.

You would need to check with Tod and Nathan for any particulars that aren't noted in the description - my only connection to it is a decent memory that it was out there somewhere. Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with dating and ID'ing a dagger.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic