Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Aunlaz" style dagger projectDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: "Aunlaz" style dagger project         Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm a long time member but not a regular poster, but hopefully that will change. I enjoy following DIY threads and now I have a few DIY projects going on which I would like to share. I'm afraid it's nothing that hasn't been done before but still if you're like me then you probably find it interesting to see how others tackle a certain task. So, I hope some will find this interesting.

A while back I got two dagger blades from Paul Binns. They were quite cheap so I didn't expect them to be brilliant but even with that in mind I was a bit disappointed. However, now I have two dagger blades to play around with without worrying too much about mucking them up.

The blade in the top of the picture is OK-ish so I will leave it alone for now but the bottom one just looks very odd. The edges are wavy and the whole thing is very unevenly ground. As a first step I want to fix the profile of the blade. Eventually I want to make a hilt similar to the daggers found in The Royal Armouries and the Bayerisches Armeemuseum. For those who aren't familiar with these daggers check out the Aunlaz dagger by Arms & Armor you can also find a review by Chad Arnow in the reviews section.

Attachment: 140.41 KB
New profile - resized.jpg
Using a fine tipped permanent marker I drew the new profile on the blade and colored the sections which need to be ground off.

Attachment: 171.28 KB
Blades - resized.jpg
I'm not sure yet what to do with the top one...
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, I'm pretty sure I removed most of the material I wanted to but it still doesn't look right. I think I want a bit of a more acute profile taper. By the way I used an angle grinder mounted on the workbench with a tool rest in front of it, effectively a disc sander to do this. A belt grinder might be better for this kind of work but I haven't got one... heyho

Attachment: 138.75 KB
DSCF2583.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Aunlaz" style dagger projectDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic