Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noricum Replikate Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T Franks

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Noricum Replikate         Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone can attest to the quality of this gentleman's swords. His focus is precisely in the period of my interest, and considering Patrick Barta's long waiting list I'm thinking about giving him a try for a La Tene sword. I think his helmets look absolutely astonishing as well. I did message him about a week ago, but maybe I should give him a little more time to reply. I don't want to pester him, so I figured I'll ask here just in case anybody can give me some info in the meantime.

https://www.noricum.de/
Frank S.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have any of his swords myself, but you could try asking on the Bronze Age Center. I remember having seen topics about Noricum Replikate there.
T Franks

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frank S. wrote:
I don't have any of his swords myself, but you could try asking on the Bronze Age Center. I remember having seen topics about Noricum Replikate there.

Thanks. Will do
T Franks

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stefan from NR managed to get back to me and unfortunately he no longer accepts orders from the States. Something to do with customs. That puts me in a pickle. As far as La Tene period items are concerned, I really only know of this gentleman and Patrick Barta who I really trusted based on what I've seen on their website or heard from customers. It's kind of a niche area. Maybe this is a sign that I need to be more pro-active and start getting my own hands dirty.

I might have to get an Albion bare blade and grind it a bit at the cross section and fit my own handle. If I order one heat treated do I need a belt grinder? I currently do not have one. I do have an angle grinder though, and a Dayton combo disc/belt sander. Will the Dayton suffice?

The part I'm most worried about it making the scabbard haha. The chape is the part that I don't really understand. Apparently these were made from one piece. I have some pics and books but I'm not quite grasping how they got the metal to wrap around the tip of the scabbard with a hollow u-shape while having the connected bridge on the back side.
Joe A

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I work with several makers who won't ship to the USA. I don't know what could have happened in the past as I get reproduction swords and spears from Europe all the time and never had a problem. I tell them to list swords as "theatrical props."

My work around it to have the maker send the sword to an acquaintance in either Europe or Canada and have them send it to me. Yes, it adds cost and time, but if you are in the market for a $1,000 piece from Europe it may be the only option.
J. Nicolaysen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have a look at Maziar's workshop on facebook. Really nice looking stuff and I have been thinking about reaching out to him later this year myself. https://www.facebook.com/Maziars.workshop/

Javier Sole of Ancient forge also works with Iron age styles. I'm not exactly sure what you are after but he's had La Tene stuff posted before. He also works a lot with complex hilt and zwei-hander stuff, so don't let that throw you if that's what you see at first on his page. https://www.facebook.com/AFespadas/

Waldemar Duska of IBOR also has a lot of nice looking Iron age weapons. https://www.facebook.com/IBOR-405082576216585/

So I haven't bought anything from these guys myself, but some of my friends have and I think the quality is good but I have no idea of the prices or waitlists or communication ability. Well they all post in English as well as their native languages. If you choose to go with one of these, let us know! Good luck.
Arne G.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Barta will NOT ship to the U.S. - a buddy of mine had to go through extraordinary hoops to get a Celtic Kirkburn sword from Patrick, who, after the sword was paid for several years ago, initially refused to ship upon completion and instead was going to issue a refund. After considerable back and forth (hindered by the language barrier) some sort of arrangement was made to receive the sword, but there was considerable delay and added cost involved.

Note that this is not a simple customs issue, but appears to be some sort of new EU or UN dictate to combat "arms trafficking" that, in typical bureaucratic overreach, has ensnared reproductions of obsolete and ancient weapons as well. Without the specifics I cannot say more, but that seems to be what is happening. Note that it seems to be possible to get a license of some sort to export - Wulflund, for example, does not seem to have any issues with this.

I do not know if Waldemar Duska/Ibor will still export, but I can vouch for his work, having a Celtic knife and an Illerup Adal style spear/angon point from him. Both are quite excellent.
T Franks

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations gang. I did find Maziar on Facebook and he does indeed have some nice stuff. Great looking helmets. I love those Normandy Agen helmets Cool
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I moved and was trying to ship a sword from the UK to the US I had to jump through hoops to find a carrier that would accept it. Blunt truncheon of the law at work again.
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
T Franks

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm thinking about reaching out to Maziar's Workshop. Before I do, Is there a general consensus in regards to etiquette for custom orders overseas? Perhaps half up-front and then the rest upon completion or receiving?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Noricum Replikate
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic