Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > CCB 46 Vintage Machete - Help to Identify Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dorel Corel

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: CCB 46 Vintage Machete - Help to Identify         Reply with quote

Dear Colleagues,

Please help me with some advices.

I just bought this Machete. It has a engraved "CCB" and the number "46"

• Can you please look at the pictures and tell me your opinion about this model ( dating, value and other characteristics )

Thanks for helping me with these answers !

Dorel Corel

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What can "CCB"mean ?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My guess is that it was originally a sword that had been broken at some stage of its life. It was subsequently recovered, ground to shape, and had that grip added to it.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books
Dorel Corel

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
My guess is that it was originally a sword that had been broken at some stage of its life. It was subsequently recovered, ground to shape, and had that grip added to it.

The person who sold me this macete, told me it can be from Indonezia/Philippines ...
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That blade has been ground down from something else; it wasn't originally made like that. It should be decent steel if it was originally a longer sword but it wouldn't make a good machete because the balance looks off. I can't think of a use for it off the top of my head. To function as an effective machete it either needs to be longer or to be wider at the tip.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
That blade has been ground down from something else; it wasn't originally made like that. It should be decent steel if it was originally a longer sword but it wouldn't make a good machete because the balance looks off. I can't think of a use for it off the top of my head. To function as an effective machete it either needs to be longer or to be wider at the tip.

The bend near the tip is puzzling if it came from most swords ? That is unless the blade was reworked at the forge and that bend hammered in for some reason and re-heat treated ?

Could be a butcher knife ? CCB could be someones initials, could be the maker's mark and 46 might mean that someone made at least 46 knives.

Maybe forged from a leaf spring ? In any case it's somewhat crude but probably functional if well heat treated ?

Anything crudely made in a small shop is not something of a pattern easily identified.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

The bend near the tip is puzzling if it came from most swords ? That is unless the blade was reworked at the forge and that bend hammered in for some reason and re-heat treated ?

Could be a butcher knife ? CCB could be someones initials, could be the maker's mark and 46 might mean that someone made at least 46 knives ?

Maybe forged from a leaf spring ? In any case it's somewhat crude but probably functional if well heat treated ?

Anything crudely made in a small shop is not something of a pattern easily identified.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The initials combined with the number suggests that it was originally part of a mass-production run for the military.The shallow fuller and the position of the number suggests that it was originally a lot longer than it is now.

It is hard to tell but I think the fuller looks like this.

If true, then the blade was broken and reground. I think it was originally a cavalry sabre or perhaps a naval hanger. It isn't worth anything unless it has a special story tied up with its provenance or it originally belonged to someone famous.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > CCB 46 Vintage Machete - Help to Identify
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic