Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Parrying dagger identification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Caleb Cox

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Parrying dagger identification         Reply with quote

I recently acquired a parrying dagger in a sword lot purchase, and I’m trying to find out who makes this reproduction and on what it’s historically based. It reminds me of a certain Dresden Rapier in its furnishings, but I thought I’d turn to greater minds than myself.
Thanks for any help!

Attachment: 281.12 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 296.63 KB
[ Download ]
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like the Arms & Armor Dresden parrying dagger https://myArmoury.com/dagg_aa_dres.html but without the parrying plate inside the ring.

In this case it is based on a Saxon dagger from the Dresden armoury, the late 16th Century Electors of Saxony commissioned a large number of highly decorated weapons for use by their horse & foot guards as well as select courtiers. Many have been sold to other museums and collectors but there is still a fine selection on display in the restored palace in Dresden.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Arne G.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Staberg wrote:
Looks like the Arms & Armor Dresden parrying dagger https://myArmoury.com/dagg_aa_dres.html but without the parrying plate inside the ring.

It also appears to be missing the tang button, as well, which makes me wonder if it's really an A&A piece or a knock-off from a lower tier manufacturer. I'd have to look at it much more closely to get a better sense one way or the other.
M Black

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mark From Arms & Armor here... I am reasonably sure that it WAS made by us at A&A. A long time ago, we made a slightly simplified version of our Dresden Parrying Dagger for "stage" use. The ring usually didn't have a plate in these versions, and the pommel was often just screwed on to be able to put them together faster (and less expensively) for the theatrical side of the market. It was fun to see an item from our past!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 26 Sep, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Mark says, it sure looks like the stage version of the Dresden dagger from A&A. I am only adding to say that this is one hell of a great dagger for stage use. Most stage items are not nearly this detailed. I mean, seriously, look at the wire-wrapped grip. It's as crisp as anything out there.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Parrying dagger identification
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic