Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Strap thickness and armhole placement on globose breastplate Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Dietrich

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Strap thickness and armhole placement on globose breastplate         Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

As this is my first post here: I'm a 29 years old guy from Germany, study Archaelogy and dabble in leatherworking, and as of a few weeks ago I tried my hands on steel, mostly for Larp but with the aim of an historically plausible kit around late XIV - early XV century. The problem is that I don't have access to extant armors or good reconstruction and because of that I can't just take a look and see some details in person. Therefore I have two questions that hinder me on my current project, a covered Breastplate as in the Munich example.

Now on to the questions:

Firstly: how thick should the material for leather straps on armor be? So far I have used 2-3mm thick vegtan leather for straps because I want the armor to be sturdy, yet when I looked at Toby Capwell armor in his book the straps (especially on the placard) look very thin. I can easily reduce strap thickness, but worry about them constantly breaking if I go to thin.
Can someone give me input on this?

Secondly: how much is the breastplate "allowed" to hinder movement? Right now I can move my arms outstretched into a parallel position in front of me, yet when I try to cross them (basically trying to let my elbows touch) the steel digs into the chest muscle that moves with the arm at the uppermost corner of the armpit.
I tried to design the armhole after some pictures and videos, and to me it looks pretty much as on the armors that I have seen, but I am not sure about the pinching, and how much material (if at all) I need to remove. I am aware that armor takes some mobility away, but not how much is acceptable.
Right now the armhole leaves the whole shoulder socket open, and begins about a fingers width along the length of the clavicle.

I would be very thankful for some insights. I am aware that the first breastplate won't be perfect, but I would still like to make it as good as possible.
Len Parker

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Read Mac's posts about the top of the breastplate not resting on the chest: http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...;p=2768117

And here's some breastplates with measurements: http://www.allenantiques.com/Armour-Breastplates-Collection.html
Thomas Dietrich

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much!
Especially Mac's post was extremely educational , and funnily enough gives a measurement that roughly matches the one on my breastplate after I cut of the rolled edges and redid them.

Once the armor is finished I will post some pictures

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Strap thickness and armhole placement on globose breastplate
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic