Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Castillon Swords - Originals and Reproductions Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadn't that area of France been more or less under English control for around 300 years, starting from Henry II's marriage to Eleanor of Aquitane?
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Hadn't that area of France been more or less under English control for around 300 years, starting from Henry II's marriage to Eleanor of Aquitane?

Well if by English control you mean under a Plantagenet ruler (= french aristocrat with a solid claim on the Throne of England) then yes Gascony was under English rule for around 300 years! Happy
Lukas MG
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:
Lukas, you said:
Quote:
That German maker is Arno Eckhardt. I know him well, he lives close to my place and heat treats my long blades. Good guy. Doesn't make swords anymore though, only back pipes.

Is that 'bag pipes'?
They're quite interesting musical instruments, I am a musician of many years, but his swords are lovely. And he appears historically capable with his own designs as well. Too bad. But, if he's happy. Anyway, you have him all to yourself.

Sorry, I'm off topic here.

Jon

Yeah, that's bag pipes. Sorry, don't know why I misspelled that.
Apparently sword making doesn't pay enough as he tells me. Kinda sad that high end makers can't make a living with swords.
Matt Easton

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Well if by English control you mean under a Plantagenet ruler (= french aristocrat with a solid claim on the Throne of England) then yes Gascony was under English rule for around 300 years! Happy

In fairness, all the royal houses of Europe were inter-married by this time and were a mixture of French, German, Austrian, Spanish, Italian etc etc. The English aristocracy was actually more English than French by the 15thC, as English blood had been mixing in for centuries (as well as other nationalities). And of course we can't really talk about 'French' in the same terms as now. Burgundy, Flanders, Brittany, Normandy and Gascony were all quite independent to 'France', to varying degrees at different times, and of course Brittany and Burgundy had kept switching between English and French alliances. I believe it was Burgundy that caught Joan of Arc and gave her to the English (after the French refused to pay her ransom).

If I remember correctly, large parts of Gascony had actually fallen into French hands in the early 1450's and then some rebelled and rejoined the English and/or were recaptured by the English before the final series of defeats in 1453 and 54.

Schola Gladiatoria - www.swordfightinglondon.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
Antique Swords: www.antique-swords.co.uk/
Julien M

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
The English aristocracy was actually more English than French by the 15thC, as English blood had been mixing in for centuries (as well as other nationalities).

Hey Matt, yes very True, maybe even more so because of cultural factor rather than lineage, French as a first language being gradually then totally discarded by the "English" aristocracy at the time.

Matt Easton wrote:
And of course we can't really talk about 'French' in the same terms as now.

Yes, no such thing as a coherent nation even less a centralized state at the time for France.

HIstory's complexities are delightful Happy

And sorry for being off topic here.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not really offtopic.

I imagine that Gascony and Brittany felt the same way towards the King in Paris as Wales and Scotland did about the one in London.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Easton wrote:
If I remember correctly, large parts of Gascony had actually fallen into French hands in the early 1450's and then some rebelled and rejoined the English and/or were recaptured by the English before the final series of defeats in 1453 and 54.

Correct. They rebelled and the English sent reinforcements to take advantage of the uprising.
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Royal Armouries IX.5409

Some say it is from Castillon Group C (?) Others say, because it is a falchion, it can't be included. It certainly has a Castillon style hilt.

OL - 37.17"
BL - 30.32"
BW at guard - 1.26"
Grip length - 3.54"
Weight - 1.9 lbs

In the interests of giving credit where due, the drawing of the RA IX.5409 in Roger's post above is by J.G. Elmslie, as part of his current study of falchions.

See these threads for the complete list, and some fascinating detail:
http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15...&pp=30
http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=22827

JG's apparrently also working on a repro of this falchion: http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopi...p;start=40

Which brings me to: can anyone find it on the RA's website? It doesn't come up when using the ascension number in their database search, and doesn't appear in any images labelled 'sword' ...

Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!
Kalle Kylmänen

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my version of the Arma bohemia EP50. It's 5 cm shorter than the normal model, being 141 cm. The grip is longer than on the original and the standard EP50. The pommel is more nicely shaped, more like the original. The blade also has an ever so slightly less linear taper compared to the standard version I handled. Sorry for not having better pictures.

btw, how do I make the attachments instantly visible? Moderators can feel free to fix this, please

Attachment: 138.03 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 97.85 KB
Not clearly visible, the swellings are 8 faceted [ Download ]
Mark Lewis

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In their upcoming auction, Galerie Fischer will be offering for sale three swords which "according to the consignor" are from the Castillon find. As noted in their descriptions, two of these are completely dissimilar to the other published specimens, with none of the distinctive features of either group A or B...

Has anyone seen or heard anything about these particular swords before?

http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktion/objekt...oid=158381
http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktion/objekt...oid=158382

Also for auction is a well known sword from Castillon, XV.5 from "Records".
http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktion/objekt...oid=158573
Matt Lewis

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi chaps,

A lot of great stuff here. I am Doing a bit of a deep dive atm and looking for more info and images of these types of blades.

Its looking like I'll have to cough up for those catalogues...

Does anyone recognise this sword (attached), maybe know where it might be located etc ?

Can someone clarify if its a trick of the light or not, but there appears to be a suggestion of hollow grind perhaps ?

Attachment: 96.73 KB
[ Download ]

"Perfection is not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree it's most likely hollow ground, and it looks like a modern reproduction to me. The hilt furniture looks like someone blued it. Yet, from its appearance, I also have the impression that someone might want to be passing it off as an antique.
Ryan Renfro

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The image appears to come from the ARMA website:

http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/UKtripreport.htm

The background is the same as the Moonbrand image just above it, so it was probably in the Oakeshott collection as of the article's date (1999). The Oakeshott Institute might be worth a try to see if they know of its whereabouts.
Matt Lewis

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi chaps, thanks for the input. I think you might be onto something, I had a suspicion thay saw that sword when visiting Oakeshott and you have more or less confirmed it.

I have 'tried' to message Clive Thomas. Ill try the institute too.

"Perfection is not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm resurrecting this old post because I recently acquired a reproduction of a Castillon sword made by Valiant Armoury. It is a fine, accurate version of the light falchion from the "C" group. Sonny Suttles worked from the specs published by Clive Thomas, and the result is a wonderful,fast cut and thrust sword.

Attachment: 98.29 KB
F26s.jpg

Attachment: 97.91 KB
F1as.jpg

Attachment: 99.37 KB
F2s.jpg

Attachment: 17.45 KB
falchionx2.jpg

Tyler C.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Roger. What a beauty! I'm a huge fan of this group of weapons, and it's always nice to see such a faithful reproduction.
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice Roger, Sonny and Zach are doing good work these days. I also have an ongoing order with them.

This is past my normal era of interest, but I've always been drawn to those short wide ones. Here is mine from Mateusz Sulowski, with review and more pictures here: https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=38404

Attachment: 188.35 KB
05.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Castillon Swords - Originals and Reproductions
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: