Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher.         Reply with quote

About one year ago, I ordered a scabbard for my Albion Maximilian from Christian Fletcher. It arrived two days ago and I thought I'd share a few photos. The Maximilian is the only sword I own that didn't have a scabbard, or couldn't at least fit into a rifle case. This presented a problem if the sword needed to be transported. I've long wanted to sample Christian's work so this was a good opportunity. He was also the only scabbard maker, at the time, who didn't require the sword's presence to make the scabbard. (I do believe Tod's Stuff might be able to do the same now.) Given the nose bleed inducing shipping costs on a sword this size, that was a real plus.

The commission was for a fairly simple scabbard. Given that swords of this type were carried rather than worn, no belt or suspension system was necessary. I chose to go without any kind of decoration and a simple chape from Christians available selection. I wonder if I should have asked for a bit of decoration, as the scabbard face is awfully long and blank. Still, it is pleasing in a minimalist sort of way. While the commission hardly stretched Christians abilities, he did provide exactly what I asked for. The scabbard is quite cleanly done, with a very good profile. It's quite pleasingly thin, something I still see lacking in some scabbards being made. Christian also did an excellent job of sizing the scabbards core, especially given the swords absence during the process.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Preben B

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work by Christian as usual, not to mention a gorgeous sword, I love my Maxi as well.

Maybe it could have done with some decoration but I think it looks nice as it is, I think it works more in its favor being black than it would for other colors, it looks sleek.

As for Tod and being able to do a Maxi scabbard without the blade I believe not, if you are referring to the transit he did in January for a Maxi that was for mine and required the blade, he doesn't have one himself.

Damn tho..The more I look at it, it surprises me how well the Maxi can pull off black, I think it's a sword that will just pop and make anything amazing, especially with the half-wire, such a powerful feel when you swing it as well, good taste my friend.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Preben B wrote:
Beautiful work by Christian as usual, not to mention a gorgeous sword, I love my Maxi as well.

Maybe it could have done with some decoration but I think it looks nice as it is, I think it works more in its favor being black than it would for other colors, it looks sleek.

As for Tod and being able to do a Maxi scabbard without the blade I believe not, if you are referring to the transit he did in January for a Maxi that was for mine and required the blade, he doesn't have one himself.

Damn tho..The more I look at it, it surprises me how well the Maxi can pull off black, I think it's a sword that will just pop and make anything amazing, especially with the half-wire, such a powerful feel when you swing it as well, good taste my friend.

Thanks for the clarification, that was the one I was thinking of. BTW, I love your sword with the brown leather, if I was ordering mine today I'd probably go with that.. I agree regarding the half-wire grip treatment, it really takes the sword to a new level aesthetically.

I would have loved to use Tod, but I wanted to avoid shipping the sword. Shipping it to and from Albion to have the half wire grip added was bad enough. Sending it on a two-way trip from the US to England might have induced a stroke. Happy

Preben B

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, that was the one I was thinking of. BTW, I love your sword with the brown leather, if I was ordering mine today I'd probably go with that..

I would have loved to use Tod, but I wanted to avoid shipping the sword. Shipping it to and from Albion to have the half wire grip added was bad enough. Sending it on a two-way trip from the US to England might have induced a stroke. Happy

I believe I was particularly lucky on the marbling on mine, it's one of the better pieces of campaign worn I've seen from Albion, I absolutely do not think you went wrong with black, it looks very good.

And yes..That shipping..I believe I paid $350 give or take to get it from KoA to Tod, then from Tod to me was much cheaper of course.

KoA now seem to only offer UPS even on shorter blades so us Europeans are looking at $300 or more shipping cost on all Albions from them, and Albion themselves don't offer cheaper...Combined with import costs of up to 25% I have started buying second hand Albions only or going for European smiths..It's not worth paying half a sword just to ship.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Preben B wrote:
And yes..That shipping..I believe I paid $350 give or take to get it from KoA to Tod, then from Tod to me was much cheaper of course.

KoA now seem to only offer UPS even on shorter blades so us Europeans are looking at $300 or more shipping cost on all Albions from them, and Albion themselves don't offer cheaper...Combined with import costs of up to 25% I have started buying second hand Albions only or going for European smiths..It's not worth paying half a sword just to ship.

Thanks. If nothing else, you've made me feel better about my shipping costs. Happy

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heck, I had to hire an import broker for a sword I purchased and that cost $250 in and of itself. Ugh.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic