Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Joe Fults"]That thing is pretty darn nice looking. Was the wait time normal and did you pay much of a fee for having him do a non-standard design?[/quoA

Also, if you ever get a chance to post some more images that would be cool. Would love to see more of the fuller and blade. Also how the pommel is done. Its a nice clean design.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Kelly wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Very nice looking Michael. I have looked at Stephan's work before and have liked what I have seen. What did you have him do in the way of customization and which model did it start as?

Please post a review as well as measurements when you can!

The blade is a Type XVIa from his SL1004, mounted with a 'scent stopper' pommel and a simple cross guard with nice accents at each end. Mr. Lockwood also elongated the grip to 8 3/4" (or 10 3/4" including the pommel) to better mirror the geometry of my blunt trainer.

Overall I’ve been very pleased. The sword itself is surprisingly light and very lively in my hands with a stiff yet flexible blade. I haven't had a chance to cut with it yet as I’ve spent most of the summer in the field for training exercises. My only criticisms are I do prefer a slightly beefier grip, but that is most likely a product of what I'm used to on my Albion Liechtenauer than anything else, and the peen could have been smoother. But these are really minor points overall and won't stop me from ordering another Lockwood sword. Chances are high that he'll be hearing from me again.

Very nice and sensible changes. Thank you for the information and mini review.

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Kelly wrote:
Semi-custom Stephan Lockwood...

Based on what one can tell from the Web, it seems like Mr. Lockwood is aiming to compete with A&A and lower end Albions but (so far) at a slightly lower price. It would be great to see more hands on reviews of his products with detailed pictures.

Also interesting to see Valiant coming out with higher end products with home-grown blades. Haven't seen any reviews on those either.
Michael Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Joe Fults"]
Joe Fults wrote:
That thing is pretty darn nice looking. Was the wait time normal and did you pay much of a fee for having him do a non-standard design?[/quoA

Also, if you ever get a chance to post some more images that would be cool. Would love to see more of the fuller and blade. Also how the pommel is done. Its a nice clean design.

Cost was the same as if I'd ordered one of his listed pieces. I thought that was cool...

Wait time was kinda weird and that was my fault. I ordered the sword and placed the down payment just before I deployed with the idea that it would be done and waiting for me when I came back home 9 months later. This was all worked out a head of time and I was supposed to give him a heads up when I was getting close. I forgot to do that until just before I redeployed so he had a few in the queue ahead of me. Still the wait time was minimal and I think I had it in my hands within a month of getting back.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics...

Like I said, the peen could have been cleaner, but that's really my only complaint.
Joel Lombard

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice viking sword J.D. Crawford

Wherer to get viking broad shortsword?
I want a short viking sword.
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's an awesome sword, Michael! Congratulations! Mr. Lockwood's work looks like a contender.
Michael P. Smith

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My latest....

A friend picked this up for me at Combat Con in Vegas early this month. So... score an Albion Regent with a blue grip (exactly what I wanted) with no wait!

Fit and finish on this sword is magnificent. The blade is perfectly straight, as is the central ridge. The hollow grinds are masterfully executed, the point is symmetrical and stout. The hilt furniture is perfect.... no blemishes and the peen is nearly invisible. The grip is wonderfully done and the seam is well executed and nearly invisible.

I had worried a couple years ago when Albion had a couple blips, but they are clearly back on top of their game.

Attachment: 38.45 KB
IMG_3023-sm.jpg
Albion Regent

Last edited by Michael P. Smith on Tue 28 Aug, 2018 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael P. Smith wrote:
My latest....

A friend picked this up for me at Combat Con in Vegas early this month. So... score an Albion Regent with a blue grip (exactly what I wanted) with no wait!

Fit and finish on this sword is magnificent. The blade is perfectly straight, as is the central ridge. The hollow grinds are masterfully executed, the point is symmetrical and stout. The hilt furniture is perfect.... no blemishes and the peen is nearly invisible. The grip is wonderfully and the seam is well executed and nearly invisible.

I had worried a couple years ago when Albion had a couple blips, but they are clearly back on top of their game.

Congratulations. A Regent was my very first sword and I only have 2 regrets about it.

1. Not getting a blue grip.
2. Selling it.

It's handling defies belief and it's aesthetics are unreal.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Lombard wrote:

Thanks

Joel Lombard wrote:

How short? Albion and Arms & Armor both have smaller Anglo-Saxon style swords with 29" blades.
Joel Lombard

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
Joel Lombard wrote:

Thanks

Joel Lombard wrote:

How short? Albion and Arms & Armor both have smaller Anglo-Saxon style swords with 29" blades.

Oh thank you! Eh most is 90cm long any shorter than that will do.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In saving on higher price toys and taking care of business, I treated myself to an old warhorse that will keep me from too many "gimmes". I often watch the older swords of less value, or needing some love but it is time to wind things down a bit and concentrate on (perceived) upgraded value. I need to let go of younger things to accommodate older history.

Other swords and knives of 2018 have been waiting for such as this. Amongst that shorter bladed horde is a Jim Hrisoulas aka Salamander Armoury dagger that appeared on the KOA previously owned page. A minor grind asymmetry of the tip posted it at dinner pricing.

Cheers
GC
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Kelly wrote:
Semi-custom Stephan Lockwood...

This finally got me off the fence and I got in line to get something from him. I will end up being a close cousin to your sword. Extended handle. Round pommel (I have scent stoppers aplenty). Similar guard. Thanks for inspiration.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Milan Ziegler

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My last sword is Albion Solingen. I got it couple years back but only today I took some decent picture of it.
It has one of the most beautiful blade profiles I know of. The gracefully forward swept guard is exactly what I prefer on swords and the pommel is also great - with this sword type W pommels became one of my favorites. I like how this sword handles however I don't have any experience with swordplay. It feels light, the grip is comfortable and the pommel does not get in the way of my hand. The sword has the special quality that it is "hard to put down". I am always drawn to take it and play with it. Over the years I found that the fittings like to stain and potentially rust easily so it is necessary to keep them oiled.

The book is The Sword - Form and Thought which features the original. I highly recommend it!
Scott Jones

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Angelo Baskethilt         Reply with quote

Grabbed a nid 18th century "Angelo" Baskethilt from Balefire. still waiting for it to be forged and shipped.

Proto type:

https://cateransociety.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-862

Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti’s Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa Ferro. Don’t you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have.
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received a new Albion Regent with a scabbard from Christian Fletcher today. This gave me the opportunity to compare it to my first Regent from 2005, which I still have.

My first impressions, side by side, show that they are definitely two different swords. The differences are mostly in the blade, as the grips feel pretty much the same (though the hilt/pommel of the newer sword is a little longer, making the overall sword just that longer). The '05 is stiffer, but that is not to say the '19 is floppy compared to other swords. It is rather the older Regent is remarkably stiffer to many swords in general. One factor may be that it feels like the '19 may be slightly thinner in cross-section, and the newer sword is an ounce lighter despite it including a wire wrap the older sword lacks. The tip profiles are different, of course, with the '19 staying broader and actually thickens slightly at the tip for durability while the '05 is a veritable needle.

But it's not just the tip profile, the blade profiles overall are different. The '19 has a more acute taper running the length of the blade, while the '05 stays comparatively broader for much its length before sharply converging to that awl point. I'm glad I ordered a scabbard for the new one, because it's no longer an option for me to swap things around.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That analysis is very helpful. Thank you for the detailed description and impressions. Would you mind posting some photos to help illustrate the differences?
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Fri 19 Apr, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put up a quick, quiet video pass of the two swords on Youtube which I hope point out the differences in the profile tapers. https://youtu.be/NDApKY0lCrU
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 20 Apr, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the early years of this century, I think around 2004, Gus Trim designed 3 leaf blade swords for SFI’s Museum Store, MS2103 (bastard), MS2104 (short single hand), and the MS2105 (longsword). A few years later I was able to acquire the MS2104, but, to my regret, I couldn’t get my hands on a 2103. It was the kind of sword that people hung on to: You almost never see it to this day, in the classifieds.
Luckily for me, after many requests, Gus decided to make a few new AT2103r’s in partnership with Longship Armory, with modifications and improvements on the old design. I ordered one, and it just came in.

Specs – in inches (mm) –

Overall Length – 40
Blade Length – 20.5
Grip Length – 7.75

Blade Width –
At Guard – 2.0
At Waist – 1.375
At Widest Part of Leaf – 1.75

Blade Thickness (these are Gus’s measurements)
At Guard - .235 (6mm)
At Waist - .160 (4mm)’
At Widest part of Leaf - .145 (3,68mm)
Close to Tip - ,080 (2mm)
Quote from Gus Trim – “Character of distal taper, a bit of convexity from the tip to the widest spot on the leaf. From there to the narrowest part of the waist, linear. The last part can be broken down into smaller segments, as it goes more concave.”

Weight - 2 lbs. 9 oz.
COG – 4.0
COP – not good at figuring this out, but I bet it is at the wide part of the leaf.

I’m curious about the narrow triangular plateau (ricasso?) at the guard. Does it play a role in the sword’s functionality?
The sword is a true bastard in that it can be used quite well with just one hand. It feels lighter that its 2.5 lbs. weight, and is very, very fast. I haven’t cut anything with it, but I bet it performs that function quite well. Overall, a beautiful piece of work in its visual appeal and in its performance. I'll add that this is one of those swords that, every time you pick it up, something inside you goes "wow."

Attachment: 97.7 KB
AT2103r16S.jpg

Attachment: 97.1 KB
AT2103r12S.jpg

Attachment: 97.46 KB
AT2103r8S.jpg

Attachment: 97.49 KB
AT2103r7S.jpg

Attachment: 99.26 KB
AT2103r18S.jpg

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 01 Dec, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like it is time to wake this thread up from a long slumber!

I had a few of my swords out for oiling and thought that I would get a picture of the three, okay two, that I received this year.

Sorry for the quality of most of the pictures, the solo of the XIIa.4 is from Gus, as it is gloomy here with spotty precipitation and my photographic skills are non-existent!

Here are pictures of the XIIa.4 that I received directly from Gus earlier this week. I have also posted a picture of it next to my AT 1423 blade that was cutlered by Christian Fletcher.

The other two are by Iron Wolf Forge in Southeastern Wisconsin. Ken was a member here in the early years. The XIIIa is mine and the little XI/XIV is my wives first sword.

If you have any questions please ask, I am not a good writer like Roger or J.D. are when it comes to new swords, sorry.

Attachment: 91.03 KB
Atrim XIIa.4.jpg

Attachment: 116.02 KB
XIIa.4 & AT 1423.jpg

Attachment: 94.02 KB
20191201_114817.jpg

Attachment: 90.55 KB
20191201_114641.jpg

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Andrew Knecht

PostPosted: Thu 05 Dec, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Received my Maximilian last week!

Attachment: 205.13 KB
20191205_103021.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your last sword
Page 70 of 75 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 73, 74, 75  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: