Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Printed Armoury Dunvegan sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Printed Armoury Dunvegan sword         Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share a little mini-project I completed recently.

I bought a set of unfinished Printed Armoury Dunvegan fittings from LG martial arts. These are designed for the HT EMSHS and are very reasonably priced at $55.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the fittings as they came. They had a cast finish with, I believe, two sprues per piece. They cleaned up in an afternoon with a dremel and sander. I polished them up to about 1200, then knocked it back with a scotchbrite pad. Both the guard and the pommel fit tightly on the HT EMSHS without adjusting, however the center of the guard was not in-line with the fuller, so I used a diamond file on the throat of the guard to adjust it.

Here they are roughly polished:

Fully polished:

I then decided to blue the hilt fittings in potassium nitrate:

Here it is assembled:

The grip was 3d printed out of abs plastic using the tool on Printed Armoury. Again, I didn't snap a picture of the final product, but here is a prototype:

I wrapped it in stingray skin:

Finished product, currently working on scabbards for this and two other swords:

Let me know if you have any questions about the parts or the product. My only criticism is that the grip of the HT EMSHS is a little long, but that is no fault of Printed Armoury. While some of the polished sets are a little pricey, the unfinished sets are excellent value. This little project cost about $180 all told, and about a full days work (spread over three evenings). $55 for the PA parts, $6 for the grip + scrap leather I had around, $120 for the EMSHS blade incl. shipping. I think the result has been well worth the cost and effort. I look forward to completing the scabbard for this sword.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks wonderful, Ian. Big Grin This is the same project I've been thinking about for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration!....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks very nice Ian. I really like how the stingray grip looks with the fittings and blade.
Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Looks wonderful, Ian. Big Grin This is the same project I've been thinking about for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration!....McM

I'd say go for it Mark! After the price increase for the HT line, the ready made swords are not the deal they once were. This gets you a nicer end product at only little above the old price point of the line.

I also want to add, try out a 3d printed grip. Saved so much time, a few dollars, and feels very sturdy.

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks very nice Ian. I really like how the stingray grip looks with the fittings and blade.

Thanks Scott, this is only my second wrap so I'm glad it turned out as it did. I just noticed the diamond isn't perfectly aligned, but oh well.

Thinking about doing the scabbard black with a green and purple thistle.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Hamish C

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Handle hardware looks great.
Do the Tinker blades have a threaded end or can you peen it to the pommel?
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a threaded-end tang. You could peen it with a bit of effort. Never done it myself, but I know it's possible. Wink ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hamish C wrote:
Handle hardware looks great.
Do the Tinker blades have a threaded end or can you peen it to the pommel?

They have a threaded end. You could peen it, but with this pommel, the end of the thread is well hidden inside the pommel. You would need a tool which could fit inside the opening at the bottom of the pommel to peen the end of the tang.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Printed Armoury Dunvegan sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic