Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > DIY: New Bastard Sword ProjectDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: DIY: New Bastard Sword Project         Reply with quote

I’m losing track, but I think this is the third sword I’ve built using the Windlass “Erbach” blade. This one could have been lots of things 1450-1550, but it insisted on being this austere weapon in the style of ca. 1510-1525. I wasn’t aiming for the wonderful Dresden sword https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=25055 but that sword certainly is a favorite of mine, so there’s undeniable influence here.

The pommel was an old rough casting from A&A that needed drilling, polishing and repair of some pits. I made the cross from a discarded test tube stand.

As this developed as a very severe-looking sword, I decided to leave the furniture relatively roughly finished and blue it in that state. That, plus a beeswax finish, gives a finish that looks more like fire bluing than I’ve seen in my previous applications. If you’d like to try that, beware of the wax–be sure you have everything exactly as you want it before waxing because it’s tough to remove for later applications of chemical bluing. You’ll need to heat the piece with a torch to burn off the wax, then use a strong engine degreaser.

I typically blue the peen nut and peen, but for some reason felt that they should be bright here to relieve the darkness. Maybe I'll change my mind.

I didn’t make a scabbard because I thought this might be displayed bare and blade-up. I might revisit that idea and make a scabbard and byknives like the Dresden scabbard.

Attachment: 426.15 KB
overall.jpg

Attachment: 424.34 KB
hilt.jpg

Attachment: 341.25 KB
hand.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it....I like it a LOT. Big Grin That's a fighting man's sword. Cool .........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure it would impact the bluing and whatnot, but have you thought about filing and flaring the ends a little bit, and giving it a similar distal-quillon S-curve seen on the Dresden example? I feel like it would spice up the otherwise somewhat bare looking cross and integrate better with the volute on the pommel... Just my opinion though, and I don't know beans.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a very slight trumpeting effect due to spreading the middle of the guard and filing/grinding, but I, too, would have liked a more pronounced waist for the guard. One of the early ideas was for something of the previous century, and the guard would have been a better match there.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic work as always, Sean.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one of my reference images.

Attachment: 84.09 KB
[ Download ]

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > DIY: New Bastard Sword ProjectDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic