Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeeka Fulham Gladius (AH2007) any good? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrik Schlatter

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Deepeeka Fulham Gladius (AH2007) any good?         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Since I was a child I wanted to join a lokal Roman reenactment group in Switzerland. Now that wish has become more serious cause I soon finish my studies. So until I can join that goup I wanted to start collcting the kit bit by bit, starting with a Mainz-Type Gladius. I already serached the Forum for a review of the Deepeeka Fulham Gladius (AH2007) but couldn't find anything.

Has anyone of you purchased this sword and could tell me something about it? I know Deepeeka had problems with proportions (to long hilts, to heavy etc.). I wonder now, if they still got this issues (hilt length especially) or if they improoved they're Products in the release of 2015.

Thanks for all your help

cheers
Patrik

Last edited by Patrik Schlatter on Wed 13 Jun, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think they're *reasonably* accurate..maybe not totally, historically faithful to any currently known RL survivor. But for the price, they're pretty good. If you want total historical accuracy you need to go to a high-end custom maker.
I think some folks get too obsessed with details.." Ohhh..such and such a maker's gladius is too heavy, too long, etc, etc" Yes,,the sword MAY be a bit heavier/longer/whatever to an existing archealogical specimen. But they miss the point, I think. The Romans, while they did have a "standard" weapon..they were not churned out in a mechanised, modern day assembly line with all parts matching exactly. They were made by individual bladesmiths. of varying talents, in many varying forges - I doubt no two blades were exactly alike. Not until our modern , highly industrial age were weapons produced that were totally identical..and even now there are some minor differences between on manufactured and another.
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think they're *reasonably* accurate..maybe not totally, historically faithful to any currently known RL survivor. But for the price, they're pretty good. If you want total historical accuracy you need to go to a high-end custom maker.
I think some folks get too obsessed with details.." Ohhh..such and such a maker's gladius is too heavy, too long, etc, etc" Yes,,the sword MAY be a bit heavier/longer/whatever to an existing archealogical specimen. But they miss the point, I think. The Romans, while they did have a "standard" weapon..they were not churned out in a mechanised, modern day assembly line with all parts matching exactly. They were made by individual bladesmiths. of varying talents, in many varying forges - I doubt no two blades were exactly alike. Not until our modern , highly industrial age were weapons produced that were totally identical..and even now there are some minor differences between on manufactured and another.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not a review per say, but I bought this one and commented here:
https://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=34748&view=next
I like this one quiet a bit.
J
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apologies for the duplicate post Sad
William M

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jun, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On one of the roman army forums there was a huge thread, which was where Deepeka was asking the Roman collectors for tips. There were quite a few prototypes and I was really impressed with how Deepeka was taking on board all of the advise to make the best gladius they could. Sure the steel heat treat probably isn't very good and maybe there is something not quite right with the balance but they look good at least.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Deepeeka Fulham Gladius (AH2007) any good?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic