Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinions on some broadsword vendors? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Jones

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Opinions on some broadsword vendors?         Reply with quote

wondering if anyone has experience dealing with the following sword makers for blunt historical replicas. I am in the market for a broadsword for SCA cut & Thrust (historical re-enactment), and am wondering what kind of stuff you guys would recommend for Early period 1500's-1600's Basket Hilted swords? I am looking at a budget of around 400-700 US dollars.

Armourclass
Castille
Darkwood
Darksword

Inigo Montoya: You are using Bonetti’s Defense against me, ah?
Man in Black: I thought it fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Inigo: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack with Capa Ferro?
Man in Black: Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capa Ferro. Don’t you?
Inigo: Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are you looking for baskethilts only?

Stay away from Darksword - far, far away.

Darkwood is one of the staples of the HEMA and stage combat community. I have a couple of their rapiers and like them both.

Castille is gaining favor with these groups. I have one of their Venetian Arming swords - it looks a bit weird, but I like the blade. One of the knocks on them is that the hilts have a 3D printed look that just doesn't look quite right.

Armourclass - Some people say their blades are whippy. Also the hilts may be a big bigger than the originals

If you are looking for a medieval cruciform hilted sword, go with an Albion Maestro.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would echo Scott on staying away from Darksword. They have a questionable reputation for honesty at the least.

However, I would say I have been very pleased with the hilts I've seen from Armourclass. I don't know anything about their blunt blades, but while many makers have trouble creating basket of historical proportions, I would say AC is better than most non-customs I have seen.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://armbladesmith.webplus.net/index.html

also worth a look-call,
stellar gent,

Armour Class do some nice stuff at the price point, very nice at the higher price,
the whippy blade I thought was mentioned about sharps ? the few ren swords I've seen in hand were excellent for the price, they have a very good rep over here,
only issue i'd heard was they were softer blades than a couple of other makers wares, whose blades tended to chew theirs a little, but this was mentioned under heavy use,

i'd happily have a few of the pieces I've seen from them,
if your having a sword sent over as opposed to going through KOA there are a few more to look at wait dependant etc,
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For basket-hilts, Darkwood and Armour Class would be the best on your list. Both have baskets that are oversized or oddly shaped in my experience, but at your price point, that's your best bet.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Opinions on some broadsword vendors?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic