Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A sketch of the helmet from Vintala? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: A sketch of the helmet from Vintala?         Reply with quote

I have read about the helmet from Vintala (for some reason the word crown is used for this object), and it was the only iron age helmet that has been found in Finland.

Unfortunately it was sold to a goldsmith in Turku, who hammered it to a formless lump Sad

However a description of it survives: "The crown from Vintala was formed of a rounded band, which was gilded with gold, and to this were attached 8 other bands, which met at the top. Between these bands would have probaply been either plates of iron or leather"

This description seems to match the gothic spangenhelm quite
well, and it would date it to the 5th, or 6th century.

I also heard that there was a sketch that was made of it by memory, but I am unable to find it with google. If any of the forum members could share this sketch, it would be greatly appreciated Happy
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only thing I know of is this write up:
https://www.scribd.com/document/377371414/Teodora2-pdf

Excerpt:
By contrast, an East Central European connection, most likely viaHungary, must be assumed for such northernmost finds, as the segmental hel-met found in the 1870s in Vintala, near Turku (southwestern Finland).¹
󲁰󲁵
Suchhelmets (the so-called Baldenheim type) were produced in imperial workshopsin the major cities of the empire, such as Constantinople, Kyzikos, Nikomedia,and Thessalonica. They were part of the equipment of high-ranking officers of the early Byzantine army, and their presence beyond the northern frontier of the Empire is a clear indication of elevated social status and special relationswith Byantium. Several such helmets have been found in burial assemblagesin Hungary and Slovakia, and the specimen from Finland may have well comefrom the Carpathian Basin as well.¹

󲁰󲁶
One can only guess what the nature of he relations may have been between elites in the lands of present-day Hungary and Finland: the former must have operated as a relay for the Byzantine influ-ence from the south reaching as far as Scandinavia. Relations between Scandi-navia and the Carpathian Basin are otherwise well documented in the archaeo-logical record. Nils Å
berg
has once suggested that a true commercial network existed between sixth-century Gotland and Italy, in which the lands of the Ge-pids in what is now Hungary played a major role.

I made a helmet of this style years ago, that was inspired by some jewelry pieces in the National museum in Helsinki (No helmet there though)

Chris
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats an awesome helmet Chris! Big Grin Why jewelry from Finland in particular as an inspiration?
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My wife is from Espoo and I was making a Finnish based Iron age kit.
Chris
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Gilman wrote:
My wife is from Espoo and I was making a Finnish based Iron age kit.

You got me wondering when you used fiinish when replying to one of my earlier thread, well now I know the reason Big Grin
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We met on a Valio Ice Cream commercial.
A couple of other Finnish things I have made.

The birch handle is from my Father-in-laws property in Lappland

Chris
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome stuff, Chris! ...Love the helmet. Leather-backed chainmail is just too cool. Big Grin ......McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Tommi Syrjänen

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A sketch of the helmet from Vintala?         Reply with quote

Joonas Pessi wrote:
I also heard that there was a sketch that was made of it by memory, but I am unable to find it with google. If any of the forum members could share this sketch, it would be greatly appreciated Happy

The best bet for finding the sketch would probably be the source mentioned in the posted pdf: J. Luoto, Pari kansainvaellusajan aseistuksen erikoispiirrettä, Karhunhammas 4, 1980. That is an archealogical journal published by Turku university. If you are close to Helsinki, you can find it at the second floor of the Kaisa-talo library, otherwise your nearest university library probably has it.

I checked through some of the archeological books about weapons in Finland, but none had it. In particular, I went through:

* Salmo: Die Waffen der Merowingerzeit in Finnland, 1938
* Pihlman: Kansainvaellus- ja varhaismerovinkiajan aseet Suomessa, 1990
* Kivikoski: Suomen rautakauden kuvasto, 1947
* Leppäaho: Späteisenzeitliche Waffen aus Finnland, 1964

One good place to search for Finnish finds is the finna.fi database, but it didn't help, either. However, with the query terms "kypärä lieto", I got a hit to Suomen muinaismuistoyhdistyksen aikakausikirja XL-XLI but I wouldn't be too optimistic about that since the volume XL is titled Excavationes et studia. Opuscula in honorem Alfred Hackman 14.10.1934 and XLI is Hackman, Alfred: Das Brandgräberfeld von Pukkila in Isokyrö and Isokyrö is quite far from Lieto. Both are available at Kaisa-talo.

Also the index of the Suomen museo journal draws blank. If it is published there, it's under some title that's not immediately searchable.

A further possible source are local histories of Lieto. There have been several published. Perhaps the best bet would be Hietala, Esihistorian jäljillä Liedossa , 2008 but near Helsinki it's available only at the Museovirasto library and the Fennica collection of the National Library. The Museovirasto library has atrocious opening hours (three days a week, 10-16) so Fennica is the better bet, but you need the Helka library card and to reserve the book beforehands. Though, the old reading room of the National Archives has a large shelf full of local histories and it's just possible that it might be there. Two other possible local histories are Juvelius's Liedon historia, 1931 and a collected work Liedon historia I.

A random stab is "Kalevalaseuran vuosikirja 17" that contains Leppäaho's article with the title: Muinaisrunojemme sotisopa ("Military equipment/armor of our ancient poems") but I wouldn't be optimistic about that, either.
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris thats some awesome jewelry Big Grin Thanks for suggesting that source Tommi, I will try to find it from some universitys library here in Tampere Happy

I asked one of my friends who is an archeologist, if he had the sketch at hand, and he said he will look for it in some archive when he has the time. So the search for the sketch is still ongoing.
Tommi Syrjänen

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was in Karhunhammas 4. I returned a couple of books today to the library checked that on the same trip:

The image is from an unpublished manuscript Eräs hukkaan mennyt arvokas muinaisesine by Matti Kauppinen that was kept in the Museovirasto archives when the article was written. I don't know whether it is still there (there have been some reorganizations of archives since). The image was drawn by Matti Hurme.

Luoto's article is a bit too long to translate here, but a very quick summary of important points are:

* the height is about 15 cm (I'd guess it was originally specified as "about six inches")

* the horizontal band was about 4 cm wide

* it had 8 vertical bands, which is curious because spangenhelms usually have four or six, but there is one early (pre-575) helm from Germany that has 12 bands (found from a grave in the Cologne cathedral)

* the bands had embossed rings and floral patterns (Hurme seems to have used the dialect term kruusinki to describe them, I myself would understand the word to mean any detailed complex ornamentation)

* the find belonged to cemetery that was in use at least from the early 9th century to the 11-12th based on the typology of later finds from the same area, but may have been used for a longer period.

* the helm was shiny when unearthed, but fetched only a small price, suggesting that it probably was gold-plated bronze (or that the finders were badly cheated by the goldsmith)

* whatever there was between the bands had been completely decayed away

* Luoto believes that it was made during migration period but acknowledges that helms of spangenhelm construction were made also later.

* there is a slight possibility that the helmet survived and was sold to abroad.
Here's the Cologne cathedral helm from the article:

Tommi Syrjänen

PostPosted: Fri 11 May, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Gilman wrote:

Those knives look like they could have come from the same workshop as the original (KM18000:1703). This is what it looked like yesterday:

For some additional historical background for those who aren't familiar with this find, this is from the grave 56 of Luistari, Eura, the so called "Euran emännän hauta" ("Grave of the Mistress of Eura") that was an exceptionally rich burial from the first half of the 11th century (the latest coins in the grave were minted in the 1020s). This form of a sheath seems to have been introduced to Finland sometime around year 1000, or possibly a few decades earlier. Lehtosalo-Hilander suggests that the ornamentation may have been based on Scandinavian leather tooling that was transferred to metal.
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the for the sketch and information Tommi Big Grin

I am wondering about the construction of the Cologne cathedral helmet, are there 6 plates which have a band riveted at the center, and 2 bands on each side (one under) clamping the sides of the plates together, or an all clamped construction with 12 plates in all, similiar to the Germundbu helmet? (Regarding the clamped construction, and not the number of the plates)

If my first hunch is correct, the helmet from vintala might have had 4 plates attached to the frame.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A sketch of the helmet from Vintala?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic