Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in Berlin, Munich and Vienna Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Museums in Berlin, Munich and Vienna         Reply with quote

Asking for a friend:

Who can recommend arms and armour museums in Berlin, Munich and Vienna?

Thanks

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to state the obvious ones that you're probably already aware of, but since you asked:

Vienna- Kunsthistorisches Museum of Wien, which houses many of the most famous suits of armor that you've seen images of a million times, particularly the "Siggy" suit in our Anatomy of Armor article. Despite that, you HAVE to go, as the collection is incredible, and houses far more than what you've seen in books and in online photos. It also has fantastic medieval/renaissance art directly related to arms and armor.

Munich- Bavarian National Museum, which houses the famous "Munich" longsword. The actual arms and armor collection is not that big, but it houses some incredible pieces, plus the period paintings and sculptures are a must for any arms and armor enthusiast.

Berlin-German History Musuem. Another must-see. A lot of amazing pieces here. I'd write more, but I'm just repeating myself at this point. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Wien the two go-to places are the Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer which is located in the neue Burg section of the Hofburg
https://www.khm.at/en/visit/collections/imperial-armoury/ and the Heeresgeschichtlichen Museum (Army Museum) near the Schweizergarten https://www.hgm.at/en.html

The Imperial armoury almost worth the price of a trip to Wien on it's own, the collection is outstanding with a number of famous suits and weapons. I spent hours there and still missed some things. I would recomend being well hydrated before visiting, some of the rooms are both warm and dry.

The HGM tells the history of the Austrian army from 1618 to this day so unless one is interested in 17th century arms & armour it has little to offer beyond some 16th Century equipment.

Knowing German makes a real difference, particularly in the HGM unless things have improved since my last visit. The Imperial Armoury is much easier to enjoy even if you don't speak German but IIRC the information available in English was never quite as extensive or detailed as that in German.

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If they're going to be close to Munich then I'd recommend a relatively short detour to Nuremberg:-

https://www.facebook.com/matt.bunker.792/media_set?set=a.10155138395105706.1073741977.695935705&type=3&pnref=story

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Len Parker

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tforum is always a good place to preview museums: http://www.tforum.info/forum/index.php?app=gallery&category=9 I think most of the museums mentioned are here.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nürnberg is well worth a visit but I would recomend going by train if possible as the 170km drive (one way) between München and Nürnberg may not seem like that long a trip traffic but traffic jams can easily add hours to the travel time if you arrive at the work time.
"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Wien Museum has some very interesting armour as well, such as a mid 15th century horse bard that is only missing a couple of plates out of the crinet but is otherwise complete; I know of no other like it. They also have a Kastenbrust era breast with some interesting other bits associated it, and have most of a 'gothic' harness that is of mid level quality, and shows you how much better than everyone else the Helmschmids were.

Attachment: 92.28 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody. I've passed along the information!
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that - back from Vienna this morning Happy
Make sure to go to the Imperial Armoury - Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien. I'll post my pictures here soon!
Cheers,
J

Ps: and what an fantastic city! Right there at the very top with Paris and Venise (where you turn a corner and find some random jaw dropping building that could be enough to be the pride of any lesser place)

PS2; and because there is more to life than arms and armor, I'll go to the leopold museum for Klimt and Egon Schiele, and to the Belvedere palace where there is a wonderful medieval collection of art (among other things, starting with the building himself)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in Berlin, Munich and Vienna
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic