Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early medieval helmet liners/padding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Early medieval helmet liners/padding         Reply with quote

As there are no surviving examples of early medieval helmet liners, suspension, or padding, nor any depictions or descriptions of them, the following discussion will be conjectural in nature.

However a suspension/padding system is something that absorbs and spreads out the impact of the blow, as opposed to the metal of the helmet sitting on your skull so the impact would be transmitted through the metal directly to the skull.

So it is logical to assume that some kind of suspension/padding system was used. I am interested in hearing what materials, techniques and forms you think would have been used.

Any first hand experience of what is effective, practical, and comfortable would be very welcome. I myself think that felt is a plausible material.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you stated, there's little or no evidence of this to be had, But I'm sure they would have used come form of a padded cap, at least. Worried ...........McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on what time frame you are specifically referring, there are a number of liners represented in effigies and sculpture.
Robert MacPherson has compiled a pinterest page with known helmet liners here:
https://www.pinterest.com/macs_shop/linings/

Chris
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should have been more clear, the timeframe im refering to is about 500 to 1100 ad.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Chris. Happy I was unaware there were any surviving examples, but then, I've never done a search for them. Interesting stuff. Happy .......McM
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2018 2:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, that page is quite a nice resource Happy. Unfortunately all of those examples are from a much later period than the timeperiod I was referring to, namely the dark ages.
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sat 24 Mar, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ole hyvä,
Yes, for the iron age stuff, I have not seen a depiction of what was used. For my Vendel helmet, I chose to go with a suspension liner. I thought with the open lattice work, it would be cooler and would look nicer than a padded cap. Now I find some evidence that this lattice work may have been covered with leather of fabric on the original helmet.

Chris
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In our viking age spangenhelms and conicals, we typically use 4 or 6 piece suspension systems. There are others that use a padded or fur lined cap, instead. As there is no actual evidence, it is all guess work. When talking to the public, if the subject of helms/liners comes up, we point out that it is not historically documented (same with the gloves we wear for combat).

I prefer the suspension system, as it lets the conical helms sit on my head comfortably, and stabilizes them. I actually also use a thin padded cap to absorb sweat.

Skjaldborg Viking Age Living History and Martial Combat
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Years ago, I got a Norman helm (close to your time period) that was un-lined. I used a six-piece leather suspension system on the inside, which I simply glued in with a glue of my own concoction. These would normally be riveted in. But, so far, I've had no problems---even after repeated try-ons and an extended photo shoot. I even added leather cheek/ear flaps with a metal eyelet at the bottom of the flaps. I use leather lacing as a simple chin cord. Works like a charm. Mind you, though, mine is strictly for costume use---nothing heavy. Happy (Sorry for the bad pic.)......McM

Attachment: 37.41 KB
WIN_20180330_13_06_59_Pro.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early medieval helmet liners/padding
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic