Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie Question ^_^ Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C. R. Oquendo

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question ^_^         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm new to the Forum.

I have an Angus Trim, which I love and I'm deciding between getting an Albion or an Arms & Armor blade- or maybe or just another Atrim.

I'm wondering though, if you guys we're going to choose to purchase more swords who would you go with again and why? I would love to hear your opinions and experiences with these makers before I continue my collection.

Thank you!!
-CRO
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of each of course.

In the end everything hinges on your motives for collecting swords. Will they be used as cutters, or will they only hang on a wall plaque? Is historical representation more important than functionality? Do you prefer items forged by hand or are you thrilled by the precision of 21st Century milling? Will you be assembling a collection of a wide range of swords or will your emphasis be more on the best half dozen you can afford?

I've owned at least one product made by each of the makers you mention. Depending on my mood at the time the strengths of one or the other led me to order that maker's specialty. I have never been disappointed by any sword made by these three. Pictures do not do them justice. You have to hold each sword in your hands to appreciate why it is worth its price. My own preferences do not emphasize cutting - I treat my swords as works of art, displayed but not used - but my favorite two or three would also happen to be the best cutters from among the lot.

I have belatedly come to realize that swords without scabbards are incomplete. So I'm ordering as many scabbards as swords. You may simplify the process of matching swords with scabbards if you order the two together from A&A for delivery as a finished package. Or you could order a scabbard for an Albion sword from one of the makers who can produce a scabbard for an Albion product without needing to have the sword in hand.

Right now I'm awaiting delivery of three Albion & two A&A swords sometime before the end of the year, plus one special commission from Poland. Five scabbards are also in the works. I still don't know where I will find enough space for all of them.

Whatever your preferences you're looking forward to many decades of enjoyment.
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might as well admit here that, as of last week, I have an order through Christian Fletcher for an Albion Regent...

...to go with the Regent that I got thirteen years ago.

Granted, it will be a markedly different sword on either end (wire wrapped and the post-Earl tip profile), and I probably can't swap the scabbards around (which is why I ordered one for the new sword).

I was opting for either a Viceroy or Tyrolean at first, but settled on a newer Regent for the aesthetic grace.

I rationalize it by thinking I can display them crossed together over a fireplace. If I get a fireplace.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love all the makers you mentioned, though my old Atrims have all drifted away into the keeping of friends. At the moment, my collection has developed a preponderance of Albion's work in the longsword department, but A&A for anything with a hilt more complex than a simple crossguard. This might not be quite fair to A&A's ability to make a damn fine longsword, but it wasn't as if I really planned it that way.

I agree with Steve's point, that a lot depends on why you want a sword. I was primarily motivated by a desire to learn how to use them. But at some point I had to admit to myself that I probably would never have time to do justice to multiple styles of historical swordsmanship. Not with a wife and a naval career and grad school and all the rest. I spent enough years as a serious fencer to know what a commitment even a single martial art is, but swords are just cool, so I bought more than I really had a good use for from a martial arts standpoint. Since I also apparently decided to spend a lot of time over the last few years training in a Japanese art, what I end up doing with all these swords is a bit up in the air. I probably wouldn't buy another without being certain I could focus some serious effort into an appropriate art. Unless Albion finishes the Capoferro. I'd snap one of those up with a quickness, because I am a fickle human and can't be bothered with consistency when the right shiny thing is there for the grabbing. Heck, I'm seriously tempted to get that Pikula sword on Kult of Athena, even though there's almost zero chance I'd ever train with it. I am a terrible example.

So, yeah. Figure out why you want a sword, then the what will hopefully work itself out. You can't go wrong with either maker.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
C. R. Oquendo

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am definitely looking for a sword that is functional, but I also like it to be pretty :-). With that in mind, which sword maker would have the most function as well as form?

Could either of you tell me more about Christian Fletcher? Would it be worth adding a sword of his to my collection?
Thank you again!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. R. Oquendo wrote:
I am definitely looking for a sword that is functional, but I also like it to be pretty :-). With that in mind, which sword maker would have the most function as well as form?

Depends! What's your budget, and what kind of sword are you looking for? Traditional Filipino Weapons is great, Albion is great, Fable Blades is great, some Windlass pieces are great, but in different styles and for different reasons and different prices...

Quote:
Could either of you tell me more about Christian Fletcher? Would it be worth adding a sword of his to my collection?
Thank you again!

Christian Fletcher is a cutler - i.e. he makes custom hilts and scabbards and other sword "furniture" - of outstanding quality and longstanding renown. Can't really go wrong with him if you can afford the price and wait time.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm ordering the sword through Christian Fletcher because, like Steve mentioned, a scabbard/sheath is as important as the sword itself. I liken it to buying a hardtop convertible without getting the actual hardtop: the car looks just as good without and works all the same, but there will come a day you'll really miss out on getting all the hardware.

I could have ordered the sword straight from Albion without a scabbard and try using the one from the older Regent, but I don't know how much the blade's profile has changed over the years.
C. R. Oquendo

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You guys are so knowledgeable! I've been doing some research on Christian Fletcher and it definitely looks like I want one of his pieces. Praise is always a factor, but I'm very willing to be patient and make payments if it's going to be the right sword. I'm looking at 1300s hi medieval swords.
Brian M.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:

I have belatedly come to realize that swords without scabbards are incomplete. So I'm ordering as many scabbards as swords.

Wanted to echo this. I recently had a quality scabbard built for a beloved longsword. I expected to like the scabbard. What I did not expect is how much more I like the sword now that it has a proper home.

As Steve says, a scabbard completes a sword. The package is truly more than the sum of its parts.

Going forward I'm budgeting in a scabbard for every new sword purchase. That would be my advice to you, CRO.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie Question ^_^
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic