Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass American Frontier Knife Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Windlass American Frontier Knife         Reply with quote

I've admired this knife for years but wasn't wild about the nickel bolsters or price. Could I rework it a bit to make a 15th/16th c. knife? If it's just nickel plate, maybe I could abrade it down to the mild steel, add a "nagel" rivet, refine the scales and replace the pins with tubular rivets, make a proper scabbard. But the price was too high to experiment. Today the knife is on sale for $22 (!) so I grabbed one. If you like these early American knives, this seems like a good deal.

https://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-830-american-frontier-knife.aspx

Attachment: 115.4 KB
830.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,

I picked one of these up recently myself. I figured it might be a fun mini-scabbard project as well. It is definitely solid although the grip might be a bit thick. From what I can tel, the bolsters are nickel silver. However, there was some green discoloration on mine so there may be hope. The one challenge I can see in turning it into a medieval knife is that the spine has some decorative filing. Not sure if that is historical for European working knives for your time period.

One question: any hints for removing the glue-like "rust inhibitor" windlass uses?

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oridinary engine degreaser from the local Mal-Wart will take it off in a jiffy.

Yeah, that decoration could present an obstacle to a pure medieval reinterpretation. No matter. I just like the proportions and shape of the thing. I've been planning a "Bama-wehr" project with a long Windlass bowie blade I got ages ago--blending elements of late medieval German knives with those of early American bowies. This piece could go the same way.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Oridinary engine degreaser from the local Mal-Wart will take it off in a jiffy....

Aaahh, all becomes clear... thanks for the hint! Now to figure out how to get it out of the scabbard for my Union Officer's Saber... Worried Razz

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something like these, maybe....

Attachment: 41.71 KB
bauernwehr_1_big.jpg

Attachment: 146.71 KB
dg24v2.jpg

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The knife arrived yesterday, and I'd say it's a steal. Big Grin Well made and balanced. Robust. Good fit and finish. Even the sheath is decent, if a bit flash. Dull. I thought I'd hate the nickel, but it's actually quite nice, reminiscent of silver-mounted knives of the Federal Period in this country. Speaking of which...

Nevermind a medieval conversion. It's better suited to an slight upgrade for its own period. I'll round those facets at the heel of the grip, sharpen and refinish the blade, refine the bevel of the scales and refinish them in black, then make a plain black scabbard/sheath. Then, with that nickel bolster, I think this will fit into the family of silver-mounted gentlemen's knives of the Federal Period. I'm very fond of those knives (Searles, et al.) but don't know enough about them to write a formal review of this piece (any tips on books? I have a coffee-table book about historic American firearms, and that includes many of these early knives as props. I have Neumann, of course, but nothing else).

Attachment: 75.36 KB
knife.jpg

Attachment: 57.52 KB
knife2.jpg

Attachment: 80.86 KB
knife3.jpg

Attachment: 62.62 KB
knife4.jpg

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some inspiration for the work (modern reproductions of famous originals, by Harvey J. Dean http://www.harveydean.com/ ):

Attachment: 79.8 KB
Searles.JPG

Attachment: 40.75 KB
Texasknife.JPG

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got this. Pricey, but not compared to what it'll cost when it leaves print.

http://www.amazon.com/Bowie-Knife-Unsheathing..._rhf_p_t_2

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 07 May, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Got the Bowie book yesterday. Eek! Imagine Records of the Medieval Sword, Sword In Hand, Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight, The Sword in the Age of Chivalry and Blood Red Roses combined in a single large format volume of ca. 500 pages, with extensive bibliography, detailed and engaging text, coverage of all aspects of the subject and hundreds of color photographs of the objects described (photos by Nathan Robinson, of course) together with other arms, accoutrement and ephemera (photos, public challenges to duel, etc) of the historical period. That's what this book does for early American knives in the very diverse bowie family. The author covers absolutely every aspect of the subject, from origins and evolution to values and modern reproductions/forgeries. Definitive. An astonishingly rich resource that will keep cutlers busy for decades.

$80? It's nothing, believe me. An equivalent (or lesser) publication from a European press would easily cost three or four times more.

This is one of the best arms books I've ever seen. If you have even the slightest interest in American arms, get it. Just....get it.

-Sean

Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

have you ever finished the project Sean? just got one of these, and i was planning to do some modifications
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny that you should ask! I'm turning more and more toward knives, and this one is on my short-list for a 15th/16th century treatment. I've removed the grip and bolsters though I'd keep/modify the bolsters if they were steel. I don't have sketches yet, but I think it will be relatively plain, maybe without a nagel. I'd love to try the pommel technique you can see on some of Tod's knives--slotted and brazed (or soldered in my case)--but I will more likely use the simple flat, curved cap common on many knives of that culture and period. My guess is that I'll do something like this:

Attachment: 21.16 KB
436px-Kurze_Bauernwehr.jpg

-Sean

Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

me too, from this point onward i'll focus on knives only,

so in the end you have changed your plan and your going for a xvth - XVIth century look....

the funny thing i'm more and more interested in american knives, especially bowies and spanish knives and i was hoping to get some inspirations from you Big Grin
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean, I guess you made an impact. These are now SOLD OUT. Dammit...and I wanted one! Worried .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got you covered, Mark! http://www.crazycrow.com/hand-forged-carbon-s...blade-13in
-Sean

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can do that! Big Grin I always forget Crazy Crow! Laughing Out Loud .......McM
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered two of those since they're on sale. I also see a relatively cheap knife like the AC knife discussed above.
-Sean

Mark Moore

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be sure to let us see some pics when you get handles on them! Big Grin .....McM
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have got mine in the uk, not easy to find in mainland europe,

i have bought this one as a companion for my cold steel trail hawk
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

got mine today,

as noted by Sean, is a pretty good knife, in Europe is a bit more expensive than the USA but still worth the money

the only real issue is the very flimsy sheath

it is a shame because it is quite nice overall but is is like a piece of paper in terms of weight

and it is very loose on the blade too, i was thinking to do another layer of leather and glue it inside....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass American Frontier Knife
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic