Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roast my Sallet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kevin TS

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Roast my Sallet         Reply with quote

I've been looking around for an affordable sallet from a reasonably reputable dealer, and I was excited to come across this one from Kult of Athena. I'm looking for some feedback on it's accuracy.

From my research, it seems like a reasonably good reproduction. The spring pin to hold the visor open seems entirely speculative, but I actually don't mind it because when I LARP with it I'd like to fight with the visor open. Matt Easton from Scholagladiatora says good quality reproductions' visors stay flush with the skull when opened, but I've seen a lot of extant sallets where that's not the case (although this one possibly sticks out forward from the skull too much, while the originals stick out upward).

Any thoughts on this thing? Criticisms are appreciated, as well as any information you could lend on its style's period/region.

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNH2221PL16

[/img]
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

KOA review seems to indicate some fit problems with it.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Problems with fit are understandable when you try to fit a product made "average" size ( what "average" ? Indian average or European average ? ) item to possibly not-so-average head ? And is it made to be a purely decorative object..or a wearable one with possible added padding ? Unless you can actually try it on your own head,,there'll always be a question, even if other folks say it does or doesn't fit them..
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had a few helmets made by Deepeeka (EDIT: I see this one is Lord of Battles. I've worked with a couple pieces by them and the quality seems comparable), and although the general quality is passable for the price, there can be real issues when you begin delving into complicated designs. I would not recommend anything with lots of articulation or hinges, for example. It's not as fancy, but a sallet like this one would probably end of causing far fewer headaches than one with a bunch of half-peened rivets and cock-eyed springs.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...sic+Sallet

Also, consider how much more accurate it looks. A real articulated sallet with a hinged visor looks like this:

http://www.higgins-collection.org/artifacts/2608.a

While a real one-piece sallet looks like this:

https://collections.royalarmouries.org/object/rac-object-43966.html

Deepeeka's complex sallet could not be much further from reality, while the welded one-piece version is more than acceptable.

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

Last edited by Gregory J. Liebau on Thu 01 Mar, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
William Knight

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just doesn't have the lines. The overall skull shape is a simple hemisphere with a comb stuck on top, rather than a keeled, complex curve like surviving examples. The articulation in the tail is floppy, gapping and crude, and the visision slit looks large and gaping. It's a generic-ish late-ish 15th century-looking helmet. If that's all you want, you can go ahead, but it isn't right in any more than the most general way.
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an Epic Armoury sallet, and it is quite a good budget helmet. No problems with it so far, but they do run smallish. My head is 23-1/2'' at eyebrow level, and there's not much room left for a mail coif or padding, and this is the large size. Happy ....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Tjarand Matre

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the only thing it has in common with a proper sallet is a vague general shape and the fact that it is made from steel (of qestionable quality). That line of helmets are badly shaped, way too heavy, liner is non functional and any punched holes are likely to crack because the steel are from recycled pots, pans and bicycles.

I guess that is ok for the price and the intended use (LARP, bookshelf in man-cave) but it is also a question about how you want to feel about wearing it and in what situations you will be wearing it. Do you want it to represent you when you show off your kit and hobby to other people? Are you ever going to use it in some sort of education or public reenactment? Do you want kids to perpetuate the myth about heavy and cumbersome armour? Ill fitting armour will wear you out in no time on a sunny, sweaty day.

On a less abstract note, it is a inexpensive piece of kit but it is very likely you will be annoyed with it and concider it wasted money. I took that route when I started, and in hindsight I would have saved a LOT of money, frustration and time by saving up some more and bought better quality. Decent craftmanship and decent quality is essential for you to enjoy armour as a hobby. Shitty items will always be the weakest link in your kit and it will ruin your experience one way or the other.
Sorry if I sound pretentious, it's just that I've been blinded by shiny objects so many times and always regretted it ;-)
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You'd do better with either a deepeeka or GDFB sallet. I use several GDFB sallets but perhaps the most "accurate" would be their sallet+bevor combo. the GDFB jawbone sallet is too deep, a sallet should come to about the mouth instead of the chin. The one you're looking at is passable for larp, but that isn't a complement.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...-+16+Gauge

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...her+Helmet

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+%26+Bevor

any of these three would be far superior. They're backordered for a reason.
Kevin TS

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone! And thanks for tempering my enthusiasm for a not-great helmet. The hemisphere top doesn't bother me too much(see this example: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449515606540445849/), But I can't believe I didn't notice those gaps in the articulations!

I also hadn't considered that a helmet of simpler design could actually be higher quality, since there are fewer things to go wrong. Now I think I'll settle on a simple one piece helmet, which will hopefully be better quality and still not make my wallet cry. I really do want quality armor I can feel good about, but as a student on a budget it's always a balancing act.

Thanks again everyone Big Grin
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

KOA now has a Deepeeka 'Basic Sallet' that is one-piece and VERY affordable. Check it out. No liner or chin-strap, but would make a fun weekend project. I'm thinking of ordering one myself. Happy .......McM www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3822A...sic+Sallet
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
KOA now has a Deepeeka 'Basic Sallet' that is one-piece and VERY affordable. Check it out. No liner or chin-strap, but would make a fun weekend project. I'm thinking of ordering one myself. Happy .......McM www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3822A...sic+Sallet

That's the one I recommended above. Wink

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sigh... seen head on, that thing is wrong beyond belief (and it's not really hitting the bottom edge of reality seen sideways, either). Ain't nothing like it in nature!
jamesarlen.com
Peter Spätling
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can only agree. Just save your money for a decent helmet. It will be worth the wait!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Roast my Sallet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic