Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommend an armorer for 17th century Pikeman's Pots Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Feb, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Recommend an armorer for 17th century Pikeman's Pots         Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my living history kit with a reasonably authentic helmet. Time is c. 1655, and location is an English Colony in the New World - which mostly means some form of Morion ("pikeman's pot").

I'm partial to the ones with the low crest, such as this:

Looking around online I find some off-the-peg examples from Indian armorers - these would work for costume, but they're never particularly authentic. They all seem to have little to no suspension, either, which I'm one for thinking is normal in these kinds of helmets (and is absent completely on my current one).

While I have encountered armorers online, they mostly seem to specialize in medieval equipment. More importantly, I don't have any real knowledge if their product is actually good. I suppose A&A would be a good fall-back choice, but I have heard precious little about their armor - what little of it they seem to have made.

So, if one wished to equip himself for the warres on the Continent, England, or the New World, where should they start looking? What seems to be the going rate one can expect?

Thanks!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tomala in Poland. Always excellent reviews, and he's done quite a bit of late period stuff (especially morions and cabassets) to prove that he knows the styles well. His small selection of 17th century helmets should show that he can make one of these for you with ease:

http://www.tomala.lublin.pl/index.php?strona=...mp;lng=eng

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I owned a Tomala cabasset, and can vouch for the quality. It was amazing, from shape and finish to lining. He'd be my choice for any helmet in that period, as he obviously has a great eye and feel for it. I got my cabasset secondhand, so I can't comment about the ordering experience.

Attachment: 130.86 KB
cab2_243.gif

Attachment: 139.99 KB
cab_645.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try also Adam Blockley in the UK

http://www.adamblockley.co.uk/
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unless you are just really averse to cheaper replicas, and want a custom-made helm, you might look at this. I have several of their helmets and armors. This one looks almost identical to your original photo. They make quality stuff....if you don't plan on taking a really hard hit to the head. Happy .....McM

www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=LP20122...orion+Helm

''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the suggestions; I've sent a message out to Adam and Tomala. I can't speak for Adam, but Tomala is around where I figured I'd have to budget - approximately $500 for the item itself.

Mark,

I might go that route in the short term - with some artificial aging it would pass the 3' test. Long-term goals are to have as accurate of a kit as I can manage, but in the short term I'd rather have something 3'-passable and fitting than not!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artificial ageing is awesome on a blade...never tried it on a helm though. A quick spritz of vinegar and salt will do amazing things to steel. Wink ...McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommend an armorer for 17th century Pikeman's Pots
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic