Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can somebody help me identify/locate this shield??? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Can somebody help me identify/locate this shield???         Reply with quote

Ok, as some of you may know I am still on the quest in an attempt to piece together my Knight Templar costume. Amidst all my searching I came across a kite shield from a company called Avalon that I believe is something that could be 'plausible' for what might have been used during the Crusades. Note that I said plausible as in, it doesn't look gaudy or overdone. Here are a few pics...

In case you wanted to see the product description, here is the site...https://bottega.avalonceltic.com/catalogo/prodotto_2055/en__armours_medieval_shields_almond_shape_shield.php

I attempted to purchase this shield via Paypal and was notified today that this product is no longer available. This was followed by a swift refund. As you could imagine, I was quite dismayed. I have tried searching for this shield on the web with the product code 2055 but only come up with 2 hits and they are both for the Avalon site linked above. Judging by the address, they are located in Italy and if I had to guess I would say that there probably isn't anything like this in the US. Does anyone know if there is another vendor that has this in stock? I don't even know who makes this thing. I am hoping that this isn't a one off type thing that only Avalon makes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for being a pain, and I really do appreciate any and all help regarding this matter!
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frescoes of San Bevignate Templar chapel, Perugia, Italy
http://www.aiepeditore.com/wp-content/uploads...30x720.jpg

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed....You'll fare better with a heater-shield style. You can get a plain one and paint it any way you wish, but for a Templar kit, straight-up white with a blood-red cross.... Wink .....McM
''Life is like a box of chocolates...'' --- F. Gump
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
Agreed....You'll fare better with a heater-shield style. You can get a plain one and paint it any way you wish, but for a Templar kit, straight-up white with a blood-red cross.... Wink .....McM

Depends on wich century he wants to reenact :P
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would recommend making your own one, you can get it to fit your taste and dimensions better, and making your own piece of kit is far more rewarding Happy. As for the boss there are a few websites that sell them, but i think many of them are made for viking age shields, and they wouldnt fit so search specifically for kiteshield bosses Happy
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As it stands right now, the time period I am going for is closer to the 11th century so the teardrop style kite shield is closer to what was used then (from what I gathered).

The issue is that I wanted THAT shield specifically as it has the overall look that I am going for. I was hoping that someone knew the name of the company that produced it so I could search for it and buy it. I have noticed, however, that I have not been able to find it thus far and I may need to resort to making my own. I found that places like Get Dressed For Battle have kite shield blanks made out of wood that are covered and primed and ready for paint. I suppose, if I have to, I could mount a shield boss, forearm straps and a guige to it and paint it myself....then add the Templar cross after.

I would prefer the shield to have a good curve to it, which I have seen to be more the norm for that style shield. In that case, how does the curvature of the shield affect the type of shield boss required?

In my limited searches on shield blanks, I have found that they are covered with either linen, leather, or some type of canvas. Does the covering material warrant a different type of paint? I.E. will the same paint work across all 3 materials?

Sorry for being a pain.
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Moore wrote:
As it stands right now, the time period I am going for is closer to the 11th century so the teardrop style kite shield is closer to what was used then (from what I gathered).

The issue is that I wanted THAT shield specifically as it has the overall look that I am going for. I was hoping that someone knew the name of the company that produced it so I could search for it and buy it. I have noticed, however, that I have not been able to find it thus far and I may need to resort to making my own. I found that places like Get Dressed For Battle have kite shield blanks made out of wood that are covered and primed and ready for paint. I suppose, if I have to, I could mount a shield boss, forearm straps and a guige to it and paint it myself....then add the Templar cross after.

I would prefer the shield to have a good curve to it, which I have seen to be more the norm for that style shield. In that case, how does the curvature of the shield affect the type of shield boss required?

In my limited searches on shield blanks, I have found that they are covered with either linen, leather, or some type of canvas. Does the covering material warrant a different type of paint? I.E. will the same paint work across all 3 materials?

Sorry for being a pain.

Well the boss should fit the curvature as closely as possible, although you might be able to bend the shield to fit the boss or the other way around. If you get it on some sort of system where you can bend the shield to fit the boss and then after you have drilled the holes for the nails to go through, you should be able to just either rivet the nails, or bend them back into the material on the other side, and the nails should hopefully keep the shield in such a curvature that it fits the boss snugly. Ass for the paint, if you are going to use acryllic then it should be fine for all the materials you have listed, but if you want to be authentic and use period paints, (i think egg or milk based paints, but dont quote me on that XD) they might not stay on rawhide too well. :P

Hopefully i have been somewhat helpful Happy
Joonas Pessi

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just noticed that i wrote as as ass XD
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That shield is a custom version (probably in house) of the deepeeka kite shield http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ite+Shield
Paul Moore

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shawn Henthorn wrote:
That shield is a custom version (probably in house) of the deepeeka kite shield http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ite+Shield

Hmm, this does look like those two shields could be one in the same. If the Avalon company used the Deepeeka shield and added some 'embellishments', it could explain why I can't find it anywhere else. The paint should be easy enough to do and I could probably find some sort of template for the Templar cross. I am still trying to figure out exactly what they used on the perimeter of the shield. It almost looks like some type of rose head nail except...not quite. Maybe this is just some sort of gem or bead that looks like a rose head nail that they used for decoration? I only question it because rose head nails tend to usually only have 5 hammer points, one on each side and then the top, like someone flattened the tip on a pyramid. The ones shown in the pictures I posted above appear to have 7 distinct hammer points that are way to evenly spaced and precise to be from a human with a hammer.
Tyler Jordan

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Moore wrote:
Shawn Henthorn wrote:

Hmm, this does look like those two shields could be one in the same. If the Avalon company used the Deepeeka shield and added some 'embellishments', it could explain why I can't find it anywhere else. The paint should be easy enough to do and I could probably find some sort of template for the Templar cross. I am still trying to figure out exactly what they used on the perimeter of the shield. It almost looks like some type of rose head nail except...not quite. Maybe this is just some sort of gem or bead that looks like a rose head nail that they used for decoration? I only question it because rose head nails tend to usually only have 5 hammer points, one on each side and then the top, like someone flattened the tip on a pyramid. The ones shown in the pictures I posted above appear to have 7 distinct hammer points that are way to evenly spaced and precise to be from a human with a hammer.

Great catch, Shawn. Looks definitely like it. The nails look like fairly standard hammered-style decorative nails/tacks, which you should have no trouble finding. The ones pictured look almost certainly machine-made and inexpensive. I don't think a decorative center boss should be necessary since it isn't center-gripped.
David Lewis Smith

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could use something from Windrose armory

I get a lot of my stuff from them, they are good people and do not jerk you around when something is not in stock

http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?m...9ccr00ptc7

David L Smith
MSG (RET)
Lloyd Winter

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I send the recommendation of Windrose Armoury

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can somebody help me identify/locate this shield???
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic